-
Best size of source to get a good KNOPPIX file
Hello,
I would like to know which is the best size for the source repertory to get a 692 Mb KNOPPIX file. Actually, I have 2,3 Gb which seems much to big since I end up with a 865 Mb KNOPPIX file. I use this command to make the file :
mkisofs -R -U -V "KNOPPIX custom filesystem" -P "KNOPPIX custom" -hide-rr-moved -cache-inodes -no-bak -pad /mnt/partition/knxsource/KNOPPIX | nice -5 /usr/bin/create_compressed_fs - 65536 > /mnt/partition/knxmaster/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX
Perhaps I should change something in the create_compressed_fs parameters to get a better compression ?
Is there another way to make a new knoppix than begining with a "big" one ?
Thank you,
-
I had similar results with a 2.4 Gig source.
It gave about a 835 meg file --> too big for a CD right ?
I dropped it to 1.74 Gig and it yielded a 673 or so KNOPPIX file.
So, for me the average compression rate posted by create_compressed_fs seems correct .... about 38%
Remastering Doc says
In Knoppix 3.4 the create_compressed_fs script has been updated so be sure to use it to obtain the best result. It has a new option -b (best), which enables the best compression by using different compression schemes and tries to optimize that way, but be careful, because that option is slow (10x slower).
But I haven't tried that because of the 10x slower advertisement
Doin' the math.... if you are really shooting for 692 megs and your average compression rate is about 38%.... you'd want about 1.82 Gigs
good luck,
G
Similar Threads
-
By uc2nluv in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 4
Last Post: 03-13-2005, 03:13 PM
-
By docgk1 in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 12-29-2004, 01:31 PM
-
By Ptarmigan in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 10
Last Post: 09-07-2004, 05:19 PM
-
By blahman420 in forum General Support
Replies: 9
Last Post: 10-28-2003, 06:42 PM
-
By gretchen in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 4
Last Post: 08-13-2003, 10:36 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray
$174.99

HP ZBook Firefly 14" G8 Mobile Workstation i5 11th Gen 16GB RAM 256 GB SSD No AC
$184.99

SGIN 17.3" Laptop Intel Quad-Core Up to 2.4 GHZ 8GB RAM 256GB SSD HD
$229.99

Dell Optiplex 7050 Micro Core i5-7500 8 GB RAM 256GB SSD Microsoft Windows 11
$89.99

Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2 / SR19W 3.30GHz 25MB 8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011
$30.00

AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core 16-Thread AM5 CPU Processor Brand New Unused
$395.95

AMD FX 8350 8-CORE 4.00GHz CPU FD8350FRW8KHK SOCKET AM3+ *QTY
$39.99

HP EliteBook 850 G6 15.6" Core i5-8265U 1.60GHz 8GB RAM AMD Lexa GPU PWR Adapter
$120.00

DELL OPTIPLEX 3280 21.5" AIO Core i5 10500T 8GB 256GB NVMe Windows 11 -NO STAND
$199.99

Intel Core i7-10700 8-Core 16-Thread 2.9GHz Desktop CPU LGA1200 SRH6Y Z490 Z590
$129.00