-
Senior Member
registered user
wow, really got something going here
will try to get around to everybody:
gowater: I am far from a linux veteran. Running it for months makes me a dangerous newbie
But been in IT for more years than I want to think about. All my linuxes are harddrive installs and debian style. Now, as for live CDs I generally have never run one for more than a weekend before going for the install. I settled on kanotix months ago after an lmsensors kernel-compiling debacle with knoppix-search for it here if you can't sleep some night LOL. But I am quite serious when I say how pleasantly surprised I was with windows (98 for goodness sake) over this cable install. It was quite wonderful. Oh, and BTW the live CDs generally give less trouble with networking and hardware issues, there is a reason but it escapes my ancient mind at the moment.
And a non-surprise, I am more locked down with stinkin windows 98SE (yeah, the security analyst at work couldn't believe, and she a fedora user) than I am in linux. I passed flying colors at shieldsup with zonealarm but flunked with linux and an open port 1024 (she doesn't think it a problem though) because I am hopeless with iptables, chains, manacles, whatever.
Oh, and my last resort would have been usb modem or using my usb ethernet adapter (which I am going to be using on the second computer...wish me luck folks
) I do think windows will also balk at that thing though, at least my 98 is gonna want the driver. I even need drivers for 98 with a usb thumbdrive.
Champagne: you are quite right about the wondefulness of the kanotix distro
But I am disappointed in how the english forum is going now. I really wish I spoke german because I think that is probably still quite fine.
jd: right on about network card detection in linux in general !
eco: thanks and you know me too well. But I am spending more time in windows now than I have in months and my games are singing a siren call (no more latency problems
)
and now for a question probably as unrelated as you can possibly get to this thread. But this is a lounge and I can get away with it here--- would appreciate input/experience. At the same I have installed said cable...I have developed an odd monitor "wave or twitch" It is intermittent, quite strong but then it is gone. Just a big ripple out from lower left corner. I find it hard to believe it is coincidence but I can't understand how the cable could have caused it. I have relocated the pc and monitor several days prior to this cable install and spent plenty of time on it. But I did not develop the problem until last night when I got the cable. (the cable modem is well away from monitor. Interference really doesn't seem likely. So the only other new thing is the turning on of the onboard ethernet adapter. It is like degaussing but SILENT- what could be the interference that wasn't there before cable? I am not spending quite enough time in windows to note if it is present there...this is something that occurs maybe once an hour? Ideas? It's a cheap monitor, maybe on the way out you never know but such a coincidence
Similar Threads
-
By Duffin444 in forum The Lounge
Replies: 8
Last Post: 12-09-2003, 05:52 PM
-
By FelixDzerzhinsky in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 6
Last Post: 08-06-2003, 12:14 AM
-
By xeerex in forum General Support
Replies: 6
Last Post: 07-08-2003, 07:40 AM
-
By beforewisdom in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 03-10-2003, 03:50 PM
-
By adam0ski in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 01-30-2003, 02:55 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR3 Gamer Desktop RAM PC3 MIXED BRANDS VIPER VENGEANCE FURY
$10.00

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit
$99.99

Crucial 16GB DDR4 3200MHz SODIMM Laptop RAM Memory Module CT16G4SFRA32A.C8FF
$55.00

DDR4 Laptop RAM 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB 2400 2666 3200 Samsung Hynix
$66.00

RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED
$445.00

Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q
$169.00

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G
$21.68

Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC
$29.99

Kingston 16GB DDR4 SO-DIMM PC4-19200 2400MHz Memory Module KCP424SD8/16
$55.00

Dell 16GB PC4-21300 (DDR4-2666) Memory (SNPPWR5TC16G)
$89.99