Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Serial ATA problem

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    48

    Serial ATA problem

    Hi guys,

    I have a big problem. I just got a new PC (Dell OPTIPLEX GX280 series) and I have problem with booting Knoppix 3.4 (the lates one) and 3.6 on it. If I use 3.4 then it stops on INIT process if I use Kernel 2.6.6 or boots fine with kernel 2.4.26, but it does not detect my SATA drive. If I use Knoppix 3.6 it detects my SATA drive, but it right after that I get Kernel Panic on both kernels 2.6.7 and 2.4.27.

    How can I boot into Knoppix with my SATA drive recognized correctly?

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    260
    I'm not sure I will be that helpful to you. I am interested in this topic myself though. SATA support in linux is new and undergoing advancement. Here's a link to supported boards & devices:

    http://linux.yyz.us/sata/sata-status.html

    plus there may be other info in links from the site. I've used SATA in OSX/darwin but haven't changed my drives in linux.

    Also this site seems to have a post that sata drives may not be as fast as they're advertised to be. Can anyone provide more info on that?

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1
    I am having issues because I need a Linux Boot cd that works with the ICH6 controller in the GX280. Currently, Knoppix crashes (version 3.7 - 2004-12-08) when it gets to the init process. It detects everything else fairly well, but then halts at INIT. I am not exactly sure what information would be helpful, but I can tell you that it tries to run everything through the tmscsim.o module for scsi interaction. I don't know if picking a different module would work here or if any other module would even make a difference.

    If someone has more experience working with this kind of stuff, please let me know. Help needed!!!

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    griffith.nsw.australia
    Posts
    9
    I'm also doing some work with the GX280s.

    In order to get the sata disks to work with the 2.4 kernel:
    * Get into the bios setup (F2 at boot)
    * Choose Drives->Sata Operation->Combination
    then it should detect them fine.


    Using Knoppix 3.7 (downloaded 17/12/04) and the IDE emulation thing set above,
    if I boot using
    Code:
    knoppix26
    it hangs at the following line in the boot process
    Code:
    INIT: version 2.78-knoppix booting
    and won't go any further. It doesn't reboot or or throw any errors, it just hangs

    I've been previously using Morphix ( http://www.morphix.org ) LiveCDs, and a 2.6 kernel basemodule has been released for that too but it crashes in a similar section on the GX280

    As a side note, the project I've been working on has received a bit of coverage in Computerworld (and Linuxworld) Australia
    http://www.computerworld.com.au/inde...6;fp;16;fpid;0

    I'm currently in the process of migrating the setup to Knoppix from Morphix

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    griffith.nsw.australia
    Posts
    9
    A quick update:
    The GX280s will boot with the 2.6 Kernel

    * Get into the bios setup (F2 at boot)
    * Choose Drives->Sata Operation->Normal
    * Boot using the code
    Code:
    knoppix26 acpi=off
    BUT there are issues.
    This way, the SATA disks are detected and the mouse works, but the (USB) keyboard, and usb flash drives do not.

    If you set the sata operation to combination (see post above) then it will still boot with
    Code:
    knoppix26 acpi=off
    BUT There are other issues - the keyboard and mouse work fine, but no hard disks or usb flash disks are detected


    At least we're getting somewhere

Similar Threads

  1. Serial ATA HD Issue
    By smitstain in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-16-2005, 09:39 PM
  2. SERIAL ATA question
    By ariels in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-15-2005, 08:44 AM
  3. Serial cable
    By Joe999 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-14-2004, 08:32 AM
  4. serial mouse problem.
    By mcms in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-26-2004, 04:37 AM
  5. Serial Kernel
    By thetreed1 in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-08-2004, 05:19 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX picture

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX

$59.99



GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5 picture

GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5

$189.99



Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery picture

Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery

$54.99



ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield picture

ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield

$84.99



GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard picture

GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard

$59.99



MSI B550M PRO-VDH Micro-ATX Motherboard - AMD AM4, Ryzen 5000/4000/3000 Ready, P picture

MSI B550M PRO-VDH Micro-ATX Motherboard - AMD AM4, Ryzen 5000/4000/3000 Ready, P

$71.49



MSI - B550M PRO-VDH WIFI (Socket AM4) AMD B550 MATX DDR4 Wi-Fi 6 Motherboard ... picture

MSI - B550M PRO-VDH WIFI (Socket AM4) AMD B550 MATX DDR4 Wi-Fi 6 Motherboard ...

$89.99



ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio picture

ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio

$34.99



ASUS B85M-G / B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI Support 4thCPU picture

ASUS B85M-G / B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI Support 4thCPU

$45.00



Gigabyte GA-B85M-D3H Motherboard picture

Gigabyte GA-B85M-D3H Motherboard

$54.99