-
Junior Member
registered user
wireless problem w/HDD install...
Guys,
I posted this query yesterday on the LAPTOPS forum but over night thought I had better post it here on the Networking forum...
Here's the deal - I'm using a Gateway M500 laptop with an HDD installation of Knoppix v-3.6 and the 2.6.7 kernel. So far I have been successful with setting things up, including the wireless (Orinoco/Lucent). However, the wireless is the problem...
I have a small LAN laid out here in my home and I use a static IP on ALL of the systems on the LAN. When I configured the networking here in Knoppix v-3.6 I DID set it to use a static IP. All was well until I rebooted - when I checked the IP after a reboot, it shows it using a DHCP defined IP and NOT the statically set IP I defined.
OK, now for my observations...
On bootups I can see a line saying that /etc/network/ifstate is being 'cleaned'. All lines displayed afterwards that deal with the networking says that the NIC/WiFi (eth2) is no configured and so it fails to load the config I had setup. I have looked in /var/log for a log containing the text displayed during bootups to no avail. And since I'm barely above a novice, I don't understand all that is being said in the displayed text.
Now for my temporary fix...
After login, I open konsole, run 'vi /etc/network/ifstate' and add 'eth2=eth2'. Next, I run 'ifdown eth2' to take the wireless down, then I run 'ifup eth2' to bring the wireless back up. Doing this will always use my original configuration which uses the static IP.
After I do this, all is well once again - until I reboot! Then '/etc/network/ifstate' will be 'cleaned' once more and the wireless will revert back to using DHCP.
Guys, any suggestions on how to correct this? It would be nice to have it reboot and still be using the static IP...
Thanks...
P.S. I did find a post suggesting that the NIC's config info be added to the /etc/init.d/networking script, I tried this with the exact same results...
Similar Threads
-
By cosmosgr in forum Networking
Replies: 3
Last Post: 06-19-2006, 07:29 AM
-
By crw128 in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 06-29-2005, 10:39 AM
-
By revolver in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 12-18-2004, 05:43 PM
-
By bgood98 in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 12-07-2003, 05:30 PM
-
By lello107 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 11-07-2003, 12:55 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT
$7.99

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*
$24.00

Intel SPTSLP2SLCDE 100G-DR1 QSFP28 500m 1311nm Transceivers - Lot of 10 - New
$200.00

Lot of 50 HPE Mellanox 655874B21 Rev B2 40G QSFP to 10G SFP Adapter G2U
$224.95

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver
$5.40

ProLabs SFP-10G-SR-C 10GBASE SR SFP+ MMF 850NM MMF RoHS Class 1 Laser
$15.00

HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+
$16.99

4x Genuine Cisco DS-SFP-FC32G-SW 32G FC Short Wave SFP28 850nm 10-3206-01
$200.00

Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter
$27.50

Cisco QSFP-40G-SR-BD Module 10-2945-02 NEW CLAMSHELL
$45.50