Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 15 of 15

Thread: wireless problem w/HDD install...

  1. #11
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    10
    The DNS addresses are correct - that I'm sure of. But the Gateway address, I have been using the 192.168.1.1 address since I've been playing with the LAN. It is the router's/AP IP and was arrived at by trial and error. If it should be some other IP, please let me know!

    I will give you new script a try when I have time. Until then, have a good day!

    Thanks!

  2. #12
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    10
    OK shah...I made the changes to the script. I put the 'ifdown/up' commands ahead of the 'network start' command but I got an 'ifdown eth2 - device not configured' error message on the subsequent reboot . And on login eth2 was using DHCP! However...

    If all of this so far hasn't sounded a little crazy, what I'm about to say will - some boot ups eth2 will be using DHCP and other boot ups eth2 will be using a STATIC IP....and I cannot tell when it will be using what. Out of sheer curiousity, I rebooted the system 6 times and half the time DHCP was being used and the other half, of course, a static IP.

    I'm having a hellava time trying to rap my brain around this. I think it's time for me to move on to another distro - naw, gotta figure it out, right?

    Thanks!

  3. #13
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    788
    #!/bin/sh
    /etc/c/init.d/networking stop
    /etc/init.d/networking start
    ifconfig eth2 address 192.168.1.210 up


    Make sure this script runs after knoppix-autoconfig....check on the /etc/rc5.d/Sxknoppix-autoconfig.
    x = value for our script must be higher than knoppix-autoconfig.

  4. #14
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    10
    Thanks again shah...I will try it over the next few days before rendering a opinion as I will be a little busy

    FYI - I set the numerical value of /etc/init.d/mynet.sh to '21' - it was originally set to '20'...

  5. #15
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    10
    OK - it's Friday morning and I have rebooted the system at least 10 times since our last posts and this is what I have settled on for my /etc/init.d/mynet.sh:

    <begin code>
    #!/bin/sh
    ifconfig eth0 down
    ifconfig eth1 down
    ifconfig eth2 down
    /etc/init.d/networking stop
    /etc/init.d/networking start
    ifconfig eth2 up
    <end code>

    Shah, with the above script syntax Knoppix v-3.6 will (so far anyway) set my wireless to use a STATIC IP address. Ten reboots, ten with eth2 set to use a STATIC IP. Your last scrip syntax didn't set eth2 to STATIC IP all of the time, even tho' I set the numerical value of the script to '22'. The above syntax DOES seem to work but I will always check the IP upon logon. Thanks for your input.

    FYI - after talking things over with a friiend, there possibly very relevant info I failed to convey - I have updated the system to a Debian Unstable (Sid) configuration. Also, I did a Debian HDD install.

    Now for an off topic comment - I d/l'd Kanotix BH4 and as a live install it too has a problem with my Lucent wireless - a topic for a different time and place. But it does look interesting...

    Ciao...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Problem with netgear wireless
    By cosmosgr in forum Networking
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-19-2006, 07:29 AM
  2. Wireless problem
    By crw128 in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-29-2005, 10:39 AM
  3. wireless WPC54G problem
    By revolver in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-18-2004, 05:43 PM
  4. Wireless Problem
    By bgood98 in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-07-2003, 05:30 PM
  5. Wireless lan PROBLEM! (usb card 802.11b)
    By lello107 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-07-2003, 12:55 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$145.00



pfSense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 8GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN picture

pfSense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 8GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN

$184.99



OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN

$258.00



Fortinet FortiGate FG-40F Network Security Firewall NO RACK EARS picture

Fortinet FortiGate FG-40F Network Security Firewall NO RACK EARS

$49.99



OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC picture

OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC

$175.00



Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F UTM UTP License Until 2027 Network Security FW VPN picture

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F UTM UTP License Until 2027 Network Security FW VPN

$229.99



Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F P24286-03-13 Network Firewall Security Appliance picture

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F P24286-03-13 Network Firewall Security Appliance

$155.75



Palo Alto PA-220 Next-Gen Firewall 520-000309-00J picture

Palo Alto PA-220 Next-Gen Firewall 520-000309-00J

$40.00



NETGEAR ProSafe 8-Port Gigabit VPN Firewall FVS318G NEW IN BOX picture

NETGEAR ProSafe 8-Port Gigabit VPN Firewall FVS318G NEW IN BOX

$69.99



Cisco Meraki MX67-HW Security Appliance Firewall NEW Unused Unclaimed picture

Cisco Meraki MX67-HW Security Appliance Firewall NEW Unused Unclaimed

$202.50