Shah,

I tried this particul fix of your's early on but it did nothing for me. However, the knoppix-autoconfig that's in v-3.6 seems to be a little different than you depict. Here is the section in the knoppix-autoconfig used in v-3.6 you are aluding to:

<code>
# Fat-Client-Version: DHCP Broadcast for IP address
if checkbootparam "nodhcp"; then
echo " ${BLUE}Skipping DHCP broadcast/network detection as requested on boot commandline.${NORMAL}"
else
NETDEVICES="$(awk -F: '/eth.tr.:/{print $1}' /proc/net/dev 2>/dev/null)"
for DEVICE in $NETDEVICES
do
echo -n " ${GREEN}Network device ${MAGENTA}$DEVICE${GREEN} detected, DHCP broadcasting for IP.${NORMAL}"
trap 2 3 11
ifconfig $DEVICE up >/dev/null 2>&1 ; pump -i $DEVICE >/dev/null 2>&1 &
trap "" 2 3 11
sleep 1
echo " ${BLUE}(Backgrounding)${NORMAL}"
done
fi
<code>

The line you suggest to be rem'ed out is not written the same as you depict. However, the script knoppix-autoconfig.orig DOES have your line. My question now is do I rem out the complete line or just the part of it that is in bold. I tried the former to no avail. I'm not a programmer - I have seen the semi-colon ( used as a rem character, in place of the hash (#) but I do not think it is used here as a rem character.

Shah, any other ideas will be tried. Hell, I even created my on script to be run a boot up to recreate ifstate - of course it didn't fix anything, just made it easier for me to take the wireless down (ifdown eth2) and back up (ifup eth2). When I do this, the wireless will THEN be using a static IP. May not be pretty but I no longer need to edit ifstate before being able to run these commands - I'm a lazy sort

Thanks again!

Mike