-
Junior Member
registered user
Presario 2105us
v3.2 works fine; v 3.6 gives a splash screen, waits for my to hit enter, then freezes, blank. I was happy with 3.2, except it doesn't come with perl-doc and I've wasted God alone knows how many hours diddling with dselect, apt-get, dpkg trying to get perl-doc installed. This might be merely a reflection of my competence.
Requesting pointers of two sorts: 1.) How to get perl-doc going on a 3.2 install (apt-get install perl-doc is no good) or 2.) How to get 3.6 running on this machine; what cheat codes, etc.
Many many thanks to all.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: Presario 2105us

Originally Posted by
phaedral
This might be merely a reflection of my competence.
Heheh that's funny.
Requesting pointers of two sorts: 1.) How to get perl-doc going on a 3.2 install (apt-get install perl-doc is no good) or 2.) How to get 3.6 running on this machine; what cheat codes, etc.
Many many thanks to all.
If apt-get update && apt-get install perl-doc isn't working then something's wrong. What error are you getting when you try to install perl-doc?
It works for me:
Code:
# apt-get install perl-doc
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
Suggested packages:
groff
The following NEW packages will be installed:
perl-doc
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 5 not upgraded.
Need to get 7051kB of archives.
After unpacking 12.2MB of additional disk space will be used.
Get:1 ftp://archive.progeny.com unstable/main perl-doc 5.8.4-2.2 [7051kB]
Fetched 7051kB in 22s (308kB/s)
Selecting previously deselected package perl-doc.
(Reading database ... 51188 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking perl-doc (from .../perl-doc_5.8.4-2.2_all.deb) ...
Adding `diversion of /usr/bin/perldoc to /usr/bin/perldoc.stub by perl-doc'
Setting up perl-doc (5.8.4-2.2) ...
-
Try these boot options...
Try booting 3.6 with these parameters:
Code:
nolapic acpi=on nodma
I've got a 2140, and it took me a long time before I found those options, but they seem to work perfectly.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Are you running live-cd?
If so you can't install anything.
I'm just guessing because you talk about the differnt versions.
-
Junior Member
registered user
Re: Try these boot options...

Originally Posted by
dgorley
Try booting 3.6 with these parameters:
Code:
nolapic acpi=on nodma
Tried it; give me:
Code:
Can't find image nolapic
Sorry, new to this forum, trying to answer all replies in this one post. I was trying to install perl-doc on an hdd install of knoppix 3.2.
Trying
Code:
apt-get install perl-doc
gets me
Code:
Sorry, but the following packages have unmet dependencies:
perl-doc: Depends: perl (>= 5.6.1-8.3) but it is not going to be installed
E: Sorry, broken pakages
I've tried apt-get update. I've tried apt-get -f install. I've tried dpkg --configure -a; all from either error messages or howtos.
Code:
This is perl, v5.8.0 built for i386-linux-thread-multi
[/code]
-
Sorry I wasn't more specific - you still need the image name, so enter:
Code:
knoppix nolapic acpi=on nodma
or
Code:
knoppix26 nolapic acpi=on nodma
-
Junior Member
registered user
Code:
knoppix nolapic acpi=on nodma
Duh. No need for you to aplogize; I should know better. Thanks; I'll post a toot sometime tomorrow when I get to work on this some more. Rock on.
-
Junior Member
registered user
Hooty-hoo! Thanks for the cheat-code; I'm looking at knx3.6 as I type.
Too bad it doesn't seem to have perldoc...but that's now another problem for another day. Thanks again for all the help!
Similar Threads
-
By mrgraey in forum Laptops
Replies: 5
Last Post: 02-16-2006, 03:00 PM
-
By t0ast in forum Laptops
Replies: 0
Last Post: 10-25-2004, 06:27 PM
-
By phaedral in forum Laptops
Replies: 6
Last Post: 09-16-2004, 02:18 AM
-
Replies: 0
Last Post: 04-14-2004, 04:17 AM
-
By lascivious in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 02-12-2004, 12:17 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack
$826.09

SK HYNIX 32GB 2RX4 PC4 2666V ECC SERVER RAM
$199.00

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot
$573.98

5 in 1 Memory Card Reader USB 3.0 OTG Adapter SD Card Reader For iPhone/iPad LOT
$9.99

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90

USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot
$3.75

M386A8K40DM2-CVF SAMSUNG 64GB (1X64GB) 4DRX4 PC4-2933Y SERVER MEMORY
$1400.00

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G
$21.68

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot
$202.50

Micron MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G6D1SG 2RX4 32GB DDR4 PC4-2666V ECC Server Memory
$199.95