Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Sound Card Problems

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Talent, Oregon
    Posts
    2

    Sound Card Problems

    "...knoppix onto my hdd, but now it can't find the sound card. It worked when I ran it from the cd, but since being installed it doesn't work. I ran the soundcard configuration but can't get it to work. It autodetects ES1371 as my sound card but won't play the sample sound. I then look through the list and find my sound card (Creative SoundBlaster 128 PCI) but that doesn't work either. Could someone please help me." -jaredhanks
    [from other article "http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12502"]

    [I'm running Knoppixs "2.4.27" I think the ver is 3.4 but I'm not sure [Friend installed it]]
    I'm having problems with a Soundcard. I had the exact same problem as Jared did. But when I exec "modprobe es1371" and "alsa-autoconfig" I run into some problems.

    When "modprobe es1371" is entered into the command line it does nothing and returns to the prompt. [Afterwards I tried running XMMS with the OSS driver and no sound comes out because it stops 1ms after I hit play. However it shows the visual bars going up for a brief moment. When I run XMMS with the ALSA Driver I get a "Could'nt open audio" error.]

    When "/etc/init.d/alsa-autoconfig start" is exec then it outputs

    "Preparing Module for alsa... [/n]
    Building Card Database.."
    then it goes back to the prompt

    When I exec the "/etc/init.d/alsa-autoconfig start" command a second time all that shows up is

    "Preparing Module for alsa... [/n]"

    As a last resort I ran the sound card configuration program and it found my sound card and set it up. But I continue to recieve the same problem when I run XMMS.

    *I've checked the Mixerand have tried everything suggested


    I would apreciate any help provided

    Thanks,
    Jetrider_Omega

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    788
    Increase volume level to the max.
    Check on your mixer(kmix) if there is an advanced button (in latest kmix the advanced button has been change to switches), if there is, try to uncheck some of the option.
    I had cmi8738 soundcard, sound only appears when I uncheck exchange DAC and mix analog.
    Try using other application to see if sound appear ex: juk, noatun etc.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Talent, Oregon
    Posts
    2

    No Sound Still

    I'm still not getting any sound after trying all those steps.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981

    Re: Sound Card Problems

    Quote Originally Posted by Jetrider_Omega
    When "modprobe es1371" is entered into the command line it does nothing and returns to the prompt. [Afterwards I tried running XMMS with the OSS driver and no sound comes out because it stops 1ms after I hit play. However it shows the visual bars going up for a brief moment. When I run XMMS with the ALSA Driver I get a "Could'nt open audio" error.]
    This sounds like the aRTS deamon is interfering with xmms. apt-get install xmms-arts then set preferences in xmms to input using arts.

Similar Threads

  1. sound card problems
    By thummer in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-11-2005, 12:46 PM
  2. Sound Card Problems
    By vip3r in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-03-2005, 06:15 PM
  3. Sound-Card-Problems
    By CKLM in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-15-2004, 08:51 PM
  4. Sound card problems, please help!!!
    By jaredhanks in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-15-2004, 01:48 PM
  5. Sound card problems
    By chad5118 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-01-2003, 03:54 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage 5.25

Vintage 5.25" Floppy Disk Drive Cleaning Kit Lot (1 Scotch 3M + 1 Verbatim) NOS⁠

$49.00



Vintage HP Hewlett Packard 2112A 21MX 1000 M-Series 16-Bit Minicomputer picture

Vintage HP Hewlett Packard 2112A 21MX 1000 M-Series 16-Bit Minicomputer

$419.99



Vintage Jetway J-620BF Socket 370 Celeron AT Motherboard SiS 620 Brand New picture

Vintage Jetway J-620BF Socket 370 Celeron AT Motherboard SiS 620 Brand New

$75.00



Vintage 1986 Goldenrod Research Corp CP/M Desktop Computer Syste w/Keyboard picture

Vintage 1986 Goldenrod Research Corp CP/M Desktop Computer Syste w/Keyboard

$350.00



Vintage Toshiba Satellite Laptop T1910CS  With Adapter, Mouse, Manual-Parts Only picture

Vintage Toshiba Satellite Laptop T1910CS With Adapter, Mouse, Manual-Parts Only

$150.00



Mixed Lot Of Vintage Software And Drivers - Install Discs - CDs - 94 Pieces picture

Mixed Lot Of Vintage Software And Drivers - Install Discs - CDs - 94 Pieces

$85.00



Vintage ACS CompactFlash CF to 40-Pin IDE Drive Adapter Board ACS-CF-1LVT805A picture

Vintage ACS CompactFlash CF to 40-Pin IDE Drive Adapter Board ACS-CF-1LVT805A

$16.99



Vintage Mainframe Computer Disk Drive Pack Dyson SMD 5 Level Disks picture

Vintage Mainframe Computer Disk Drive Pack Dyson SMD 5 Level Disks

$79.00



Vintage ECS Micro-ATX Desktop Case | Beige/Dark Grey | *READ* picture

Vintage ECS Micro-ATX Desktop Case | Beige/Dark Grey | *READ*

$80.00



Vintage Toshiba Satellite 4090XDVD Intel Celeron 400Mhz Retro - Powers up Cards picture

Vintage Toshiba Satellite 4090XDVD Intel Celeron 400Mhz Retro - Powers up Cards

$57.59