try:
Good Luck,Code:kpackage *.deb
AJG
I have downloaded a couple programs like mplayer and kxsmooth dock hat I would like to install but I am not very good with console. I tried cd to the directory that I had kx dock in and tried typing ./configure debian-binary but I couldn't get it to start. How can I use console to install programs? Thanks.
try:
Good Luck,Code:kpackage *.deb
AJG
The title..It's a bit confusing.....If you download file from point&klik, it should intall automaticaly in your home directory and a menu will appear on your KDE menu, eventhough it's not appear in mine(I'm using kano).
If you mean compiling and install application from source code,then the procedure will be something like this:
1) Extract the source code to your temporary folder ( you could use ark ).
2) Open konsole and su
3) Change directory to where you extract your source code.
4) Run command: ./configure --prefix=/usr Some apllication don't need you to run ./configure. Make sure you read the installation readme first. You don't have to use prefix. I use it to make sure it will install in /usr/share, eitherwise it will install in /usr/local.
5) make
6) make install. You're done.
Not all application can be succesfull compiled this way.
I would suggest you try find debian package first before trying DIY.
Search here:http://www.apt-get.org/
Sorry, the title not confusing at all, it's my eyes. I didn't see not.
![]()
If you want to install *.deb package, the gui way, you need to install (apt-get)kpackage.
Open the *.deb package using kpackage by right clicking on it --->Open with --->system-->kpackage. You can tick remember application assosiation, so that next time you don't have to right click anymore.
![]()
I tried seaching for kpackage but it didn't turn up any results that I could see that linked to kpackage. Do you have another method or a link?
open konsole and run this command:
su
apt-get update
apt-get install kpackage
![]()

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 G2 14-Inch AMD Ryzen R5 5650U 16GB, 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro
$398.99
Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black
$241.50
Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black
$241.50
Lenovo Thinkbook 15 G2, i5 1135G7, 256GB, 8GB, 20VE003GUS no OS, Iris Xe, 15.6"
$200.00
Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 1 14" AMD Ryzen 5 16GB 256GB SSD
$219.99
Lenovo - IdeaPad Slim 3i 15.6" Full HD Laptop - Intel Processor N355 2025- 8G...
$349.99
Lenovo - Yoga 7i 2-in-1 16" 2K Touchscreen Laptop - Intel Core Ultra 5 Proces...
$749.99
Lenovo - Yoga 7a 2-in-1 16" 2K LCD Touchscreen Laptop - AMD Ryzen AI 7 445 20...
$849.99
Lenovo ThinkPad laptop T490 14" i5 8365U 16GB NEW 256gb SSD WIN 11 pro CAM WIFI
$249.99
Lenovo Thinkpad E15 Gen 2 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Intel Core [email protected] Laptop
$259.25