Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Making the KDE Menu... better

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    2

    Making the KDE Menu... better

    I really don't like the disorganized and un-uniform kde menu in Knoppix.

    1) Is there anyone out there that has organized the menu really nice and have their files available so I can put them on my own computer?

    2) If not, it would be nice to edit the program description (the between the parenthesies) but the kde menu editor doesn't allow me to do this, and going through all the files with a text editor is a pain. Are there any other menu editors out there?

    Thanks,
    Erik

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    58
    Have you tried /Settings/Menu Editor in the main menu?

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    2
    Uhhhh yeah? I said in my first post you can't edit the program description using the menu editor.

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Europe-Belgium
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by gameshints
    Uhhhh yeah? I said in my first post you can't edit the program description using the menu editor.
    Hay, I've just tried to edit a description at the menu. It just worked fine. I changed XFig to XFig 3.2. I made a lot of new entries, and that worked fine also. I work with a harddisk installed knoppix 3.6.
    I had the problem: I edited a little too much, and I removed a whole directory in the menu. What did I do? I booted from the CD and looked at the original, I pasted and copied all my lost entries to a text file and wrote that file to a diskette. I booted back again to my hd installed Debian(knoppix) and made the directory with all my lost entries again in the menu. Worked just fine.
    Just to mention: it was the directory with all the Graphics programs in it...
    Maybe there's a more easy way to menage these kind of problems, but this worked out for me by all means.
    Have fun and success to solve your problem.
    pvdvyve

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,338
    Not sure if this is going to do your trick, but, it appears it should....

    Control Center -> Desktop -> Panels -=- then select on the right pane, Menus -=- choices given are: Name Only, Name (Description), and lastly, Description (Name) -=- I am going to take a guess, as it is set in mine, that the "default" setting for this, is, "Name (Description)", and by changing the radio selection (dot) from this setting to just "Name Only", and applying this change, your menus will just display the "name"

    Hope this helps,
    Ms. Cuddles
    EDIT: Did this on my system, and the () parenthesis descriptions were "evaporated" from within my menus - so it does the trick perfectly
    ( also, I am sorry, but, I am assuming that you are running KDE as your desktop manager )
    END EDIT

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 05-26-2006, 03:35 PM
  2. Just making sure
    By Jessse5935 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-17-2004, 11:57 PM
  3. Making an ISO for CD and DVD
    By sbassi in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-22-2004, 09:09 PM
  4. making a new CD
    By Colonel Sanders in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-04-2003, 06:23 PM
  5. deb making
    By _r00t- in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-22-2003, 09:33 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


SK Hynix 1TB PC801 M.2 NVMe PCIe Gen4x4 2280 SSD picture

SK Hynix 1TB PC801 M.2 NVMe PCIe Gen4x4 2280 SSD

$100.00



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$60.00



External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac picture

External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac

$19.99



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$545.25



1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive picture

1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive

$86.95



SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM picture

SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM

$159.99



Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1

$99.99



Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16

Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb

$1746.47



External Solid State Drive USB 3.2 Gen2, 1TB SSD External Hard Drive with C to A picture

External Solid State Drive USB 3.2 Gen2, 1TB SSD External Hard Drive with C to A

$100.00



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i7 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$330.73