Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Problems with knoppix 3.6 after using earlier versions

  1. #1

    Problems with knoppix 3.6 after using earlier versions

    I hope someone can shed some light on this. I'm new to Linux and Of course KNoppix. I had been using v3.3 and decided to try v3.6 the problem is that it will not load up. I checked 2 different cd burns just in case. I will load up in text mode and using the failsafe boot mode but if I boot it normally I get to look at a nice black screen right after the initial boot screen. Is there something I need to uninstall from the earlier version? Can someone help?

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    58
    If you are using a saved configuration you probably
    won't be able to use your old config.tbz with 3.6.
    I was not able to use mine from 3.4.

    If you are not using a saved configuration then maybe you can
    try one of the cheat codes.

    In 3.4 I had to use alsa cheatcode.
    In 3.6 alsa locked up on sound card init.

  3. #3
    I also burned a copy of version 3.4 since I really didnt need the extra stuff that comes on 3.6 and it did the same thing.

    Will the alsa cheat code allow me to replace the config.tbz? Im running straight off the cd and haven't saved anything that I'm aware of.

    Another issue I forgot to mention in my eralier post is this, Has anyone been able to get a Belkin F5D6020 wirless card to work with knoppix? I tried to compile the drivers but cannot write to the /usr/src/ directory since it's on the cd (i guess)

  4. #4
    Ok Im back, the same 3.6 disk that did not work on my laptop works just fine on my desktop so I can rule out a bad .iso. I'm still very new to this OS so I'm still learning. I tried the alsa cheat but it gave me a message something to the effect of invalid file or the like. I most likely messed something up in trying. Can someone with a little patience walk me through the steps to make sure I'm not messing anything up. and would it make a difference if I just did an hdinstall on a separate partition so I could actually change things????????

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    right hur
    Posts
    17
    I have the same problem! exept i dont have knoppix installed on any of my hard drives, i just boot it up from the cd. version 3.6 wiorks fine on my desktop and laptop, but when i try to load the 64 bit version on my desktop i get a black screen right after the boot screen too.

  6. #6
    I found a solution to this on another posting at the boot prompt enter:

    knoppix26 apm=off nolapic noscsi momce api=on

    it worked for me but is a whole lot of typing to do everytime I boot it up. I have been using knoppix off the cd. will a hdinstall make the process easier?

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-08-2005, 03:02 AM
  2. Hard Drive : Problems with different versions of knoppix
    By goodguy23 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-07-2005, 08:44 AM
  3. Old versions of Knoppix?
    By hrymur in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-12-2004, 05:02 AM
  4. Old knoppix versions
    By coindood in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-19-2004, 01:20 AM
  5. Earlier version of Knoppix
    By Jared in forum General Support
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 11-04-2003, 02:30 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p

$499.88



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD

$378.93



Dell Poweredge R620 10x 2.5

Dell Poweredge R620 10x 2.5" bay with 256GB (16x16gb) DDR3, 2x E5-2690v2, H710

$349.99



Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700 picture

Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700

$289.99



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb

$374.99



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD

$149.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell Poweredge C4130 2x LGA2011-3 1U 4x GPU Rackmount Server CTO (NO CPU/NO RAM) picture

Dell Poweredge C4130 2x LGA2011-3 1U 4x GPU Rackmount Server CTO (NO CPU/NO RAM)

$299.95



Dell EMC VxRail E560F 10-SFF 2*Gold 6230R 2.1GHz No RAM HBA330 iDrac Ent Server picture

Dell EMC VxRail E560F 10-SFF 2*Gold 6230R 2.1GHz No RAM HBA330 iDrac Ent Server

$349.99