Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: time zone woes

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    276

    time zone woes

    oh I can't believe I am having so much trouble here. Got cable, so thought it would be nice to add a time syncing. Installed ntp-simple. Then the trouble began. Not only won't it work (command ntpdate says no servers can be used, yes there are permissions for time and ntp in iptable and I am trying as root) but my local time zone is now utc. Nothing will budge that. Where is local time zone "set"?????????? I can change the time zone it "shows" in tray but that is not the local time zone according to this system now, local is utc. Should be eastern us (EDT right now).

    I had quit smoking. I am going out to buy a pack now.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981

    Re: time zone woes

    Quote Originally Posted by nishtya
    oh I can't believe I am having so much trouble here. Got cable, so thought it would be nice to add a time syncing. Installed ntp-simple. Then the trouble began. Not only won't it work (command ntpdate says no servers can be used, yes there are permissions for time and ntp in iptable and I am trying as root) but my local time zone is now utc. Nothing will budge that. Where is local time zone "set"?????????? I can change the time zone it "shows" in tray but that is not the local time zone according to this system now, local is utc. Should be eastern us (EDT right now).

    I had quit smoking. I am going out to buy a pack now.
    You will be prompted for root password, so if you haven't set one yet set it now.
    Then right click on the time display, select 'adjust date & time' , enter root password, set your timezone from the dropdown select, readjust your time because it will advance/retard according to the time zone change, 'apply' changes & OK to exit. Then rt click on the time display again & set 'show timezone' to local. Then logout 'end session only' to restart x & it should be done. It should log back in automatically.

    Se also this post:
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12689

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    276
    Crashed, thanks for replying but I have been through that repeatedly. I hit apply, ok, the whle enchilada. But it never changes to EDT. It remains UTC even though I am choosing EDT in the drop down and applying. A reboot shows in the boot screen UTC is local as well. Something got misconfigured and I cannot find where. aaaaaaaaargh

    wish I had webspace to post a screencapture of the dialog for timesetting. There is something wrong and maybe I need to drop to a CLI or find a config file. I am thinking I managed to hose this install. It isn't just kde that is screwed up, if I let ntpdate do its thing it will even change my bios clock to the utc time. Because damn it believe that is local timezone.. aaaaaaaargh nicotine here I come

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    276
    also fwiw, the timezone file in /etc does state America/New_York. I don't know what/where is overriding it

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    276
    once again, poor form to respond to myself but as usual, for the next poor slob:

    I looked at the changelog for deb's timezoneconf, noted there about how they : * debian/postinst: Create a symlink from /etc/localtime to
    /usr/share/zoneinfo/, instead of copying the latter to
    the former. (Closes: #131837)
    way back in 2002
    hmmmm
    noted I didn't have the file /etc/localtime although my zoneinfo was pointing to it. I did a search on the partition with my BH4 install. BINGO, I had a localtime, copied it to this install. Reboot. Hooray, I am back in the USA.

    What the heck happened? How did the installation of ntp-simple (get the "simple" part) cause my localtime to go POOF?

    I will update my time manually. No problem. (not smoking yet but linux will be the death of me)
    Nish

  6. #6
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    67
    FYI: NTP is probably overkill for most users. It's much easier to use "rdate" which is already in Knoppix. Choose a Stratum 2 server nearest you from the list at: http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/servers.html
    (see the link at the bottom of the page), check that you can get an answer from it:
    Code:
    rdate -p strat2.server.name
    and then put this command in knoppix.sh:
    Code:
    rdate strat2.server.name
    or perhaps you can put this:
    Code:
    sudo rdate strat2.server.name
    in .profile (I haven't tried this).

    Best Wishes
    Pete

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    276
    hmmm thanks, Pete. If it is in knoppix it is probably in here. Will give it a try if ntp gives me any more grief.

    Actually turned out to be a bug. Kano has a script for it - I love those scripts but really wish there was some descriptions or a faq on when to use or NOT to use them. I generally peak in there to see what they are going to do. And to be on the safe side I made a backup of that localtime file.

  8. #8
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    58
    I'm glad you got your problem worked out but I would like to hear more about what you're smoking? Gimme' some. I need it.

  9. #9
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    65
    rdate does not work for me, i get "command not found" even if i sudo and even after running apt-get install (which just tells me i have the newest version)

    any ideas what i am doing wrong?

  10. #10
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981
    Quote Originally Posted by jMon54
    rdate does not work for me, i get "command not found" even if i sudo and even after running apt-get install (which just tells me i have the newest version)

    any ideas what i am doing wrong?
    any output from man rdate? I can't check, don't have rdate on my kanotix bh9a. Use find, search /etc and /usr (probably /usr/bin or /usr/sbin ) for the executable then issue the command using the full path. might be in /etc/init.d since time sycning is probably a startup thing.
    all this is just guessing!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. setting time zone: Big problem with KDE ! This must be a bug
    By pearman in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-21-2005, 10:40 AM
  2. Time zone problems in X
    By ccaaee in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-17-2005, 05:28 PM
  3. time-zone setting doesn't work in Knoppix_3.6_EN
    By tempo in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-25-2004, 09:23 PM
  4. Changing the time zone in 3.4-2004-05-10?
    By jjjrrr3 in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-12-2004, 06:29 AM
  5. saving the time zone
    By lothario in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-15-2004, 03:02 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


NEW Cisco Meraki MS130-48P-HW 48-Port Gigabit PoE+ Cloud Manage Switch UNCLAIMED picture

NEW Cisco Meraki MS130-48P-HW 48-Port Gigabit PoE+ Cloud Manage Switch UNCLAIMED

$2999.99



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99



Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module picture

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module

$699.99



Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New picture

Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New

$101.99



Cisco Nexus N9K-C92160YC-X 48P 25GbE SFP28 6P QSFP+/QSFP28 PE Switch picture

Cisco Nexus N9K-C92160YC-X 48P 25GbE SFP28 6P QSFP+/QSFP28 PE Switch

$439.00



Cisco | N3K-C3232C | 32-Port 100G QSFP Network Switch  W/ 2x PSU, 2x Power Cords picture

Cisco | N3K-C3232C | 32-Port 100G QSFP Network Switch W/ 2x PSU, 2x Power Cords

$240.00



Cisco C9200-48P-E Cisco POE Network Switch picture

Cisco C9200-48P-E Cisco POE Network Switch

$749.99



Cisco C3850-NM-2-10G Catalyst 3850 2 x 10GE Network Module picture

Cisco C3850-NM-2-10G Catalyst 3850 2 x 10GE Network Module

$30.00



nxa-pac-750w-pe v02 NEW OPEN BOX for Cisco Nexus 9300 Series power supply picture

nxa-pac-750w-pe v02 NEW OPEN BOX for Cisco Nexus 9300 Series power supply

$200.00



NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping* picture

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*

$24.00