-
Senior Member
registered user
Speed Stream DSL modem
Please help me configure so I can connect.
-
How are you trying to connect: USB or Ethernet? Ethernet is the easiest to use because you don't need a driver for the modem. You do need an Ethernet card Knoppix can detect. To test the connection bring up your browser and try an address like 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 (the modem manual will give the correct address). Once you are connected to the modems http page follow the basic setup instructions.
-
bridged or not?
It depends on the configuration your ISP uses. If it's the bridged version you should just be able to hook up using the "Enet" port plugged into your NIC, powercycle the speedstream and be on your way.
If your ISP requires authentication you will have to browse to http://192.168.254.254 and enter your account username/password information.
If you are unsure contact your ISP and ask them which it is.
If authentication is required and you can get to the firmware with Mozilla (have never tried konqueror) just tell your ISP your already in the modem using Netscape (they will never know the difference but likely support Netscape) and need help seting the configuration. THey should be able to walk you through from there.
Or get an ISP like webpath.us who supports linux as well as Windows.
-
Re: Speed Stream DSL modem

Originally Posted by
rrfish72
Please help me configure so I can connect.
I have a Speed Stream #5360 DSL modem, DSL provider is SBC Global. By going to the Knoppix menu and selecting "Network/Internet" then " ADSL/PPPOE Configuration" This runs a script that has setup my DSL connection. It is very easy to use about all you have to do is answer yes to all of the questions and enter your user name and password.
This works for me with Knoppix 3.2 and 3.4
BUT when I tried it with Knoppix 3.6 CD I made today.
It does find my network card, then in the next step when it is looking for my DSL modem after only about 1 second it gives me an error. It said that then DSL Concentrator was not responding.
It is like the script is not waiting long enough for the DSL modem to respond. Knoppix 3.2 & 3.4 it takes about 8 seconds get the reply form the DSL modem, then setup is completed with no problems.
-
Re: Speed Stream DSL modem

Originally Posted by
rhogaboom

Originally Posted by
rrfish72
Please help me configure so I can connect.
I have a Speed Stream #5360 DSL modem, DSL provider is SBC Global. By going to the Knoppix menu and selecting "Network/Internet" then " ADSL/PPPOE Configuration" This runs a script that has setup my DSL connection. It is very easy to use about all you have to do is answer yes to all of the questions and enter your user name and password.
This works for me with Knoppix 3.2 and 3.4
BUT when I tried it with Knoppix 3.6 CD I made today.
It does find my network card, then in the next step when it is looking for my DSL modem after only about 1 second it gives me an error. It said that then DSL Concentrator was not responding.
It is like the script is not waiting long enough for the DSL modem to respond. Knoppix 3.2 & 3.4 it takes about 8 seconds get the reply form the DSL modem, then setup is completed with no problems.
I am having the exact same problem. My modem is a 5260 with tds as the provider. If you ever find an answer please post it.
Thanks
-
Speed Stream DSL modem & Knoppix 3.6
I solved my problem with setting up my Speed Stream DSL modem. I am now online and using Knoppix 3.6.
Steps I used
1. Open Knsole Terminal Program
2. Type su hit <Enter>
3. MC <Enter>
4. Go to /user/sbin
5. scrol down until pppconfig is highlighted hit <Enter>
This setup my DSL connection all I had to do then, is answer yes to all of the questions and enter your user name and password.
Similar Threads
-
By joyrider in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 01-02-2005, 03:17 PM
-
By blipped4 in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 07-22-2004, 05:50 PM
-
By andyo in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 24
Last Post: 05-06-2004, 09:34 PM
-
By migasf in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 11-26-2003, 07:18 PM
-
By Trunks01 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 04-03-2003, 07:54 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working
$99.99

Atari 130 XE/Atari 1050 Bundle W/ Cords And Extras (Powered On)
$300.00

DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive powers on Unit Only Boo G3D
$49.29

Atari 800 8-bit Computer System Fully Tested Great Condition 48k READ
$350.00

Vintage Atari 1200 Zaxxon Computer software With box and manual
$75.00

SDrive Max Floppy Drive Emulator Atari 8-Bit 400/800/XL/XE Firmware 1.5 USB C R2
$70.00

ATARI Mouse with Adapter for ST, STE, Mega STE, TT Optical - USA Seller
$29.99

Atari 65XE Case, Metal Shielding, and Working Keyboard ONLY, No Motherboard
$50.00

UNOCART-2600 SD card Multi Rom Cartridge for ATARI 2600 with CASE
$34.25

Atari 130XE Restored NTSC SALT Tested with Box
$345.00