-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
mzilikazi

Originally Posted by
maestrobwh1
Thanks a million. You are perhaps one of the most helpful people I have encountered in this forum or anywhere. It really helps me get away from windows and support open source software/operating systems.
Well CrashedAgain is so helpful because tragically he lost his whole family (of pc's) during the last big M$ virus infestation. After that he vowed to spend the rest of his days getting revenge on the evil empire of BIll and showing those still lost the way to a REAL operating system. Well at least that's how I heard it.
Close. but I did pick the name CrashedAgain because I felt I had earned it. I spent a long time stumbling around in the dark when I first started playing with Linux (only slightly more than a year ago) so I'm glad to help out if I can. Actually I kind of surprise myself every time I'm able to answer a question instead of asking one. If you're really bored, do a search for posts by CrashedAgain on the Linux Format board, especially the early ones 'installing Mandrake' and 'am I just dumb or..'.
One last question: How do I add a URL to my sources list when kpackage looks for dependencies?
Have a look at /etc/apt/sources.list. You can easily add a source to sources.list like so:
echo "deb http://www.os-cillation.de/debian binary/" >> /etc/apt/sources.list
Beware the '>>'! If you use only 1 '>' you will overwrite your entire sources.list! Of course Debian is nice and makes a backup for you first.[/quote]
Easier & safer for a nOOb: use Kwrite or Kate (MZ doesn't use KDE so he won't use these).
You have to be root so make a Kate-as-root application. Drag the Kate icon from the start menu to the desktop, 'copy here'. Then right click, selsct properties->application->advanced options. Check the 'run as a different user' option & type 'root' as the user. OK your changes.
You will need a root password. If you don't have one you can put one in by typing 'sudo passwd' in console.
Now start Kate-as-root, open the file /etc/apt/sources.list & edit away. The problem is going to be getting the source entry (http://xnview.asos-clan.de/) properly formatted so that apt will accept it as a source. I haven't done this much & I'm not really sure what the proper form is. All I can say is try to make it look like the other entries. And make a backup copy of your original sources.list first.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM
$1625.00

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001
$245.00

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD
$99.99

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD
$378.93

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$524.99

Supermicro 2U GPU Server SYS-2029GP-TR 2x Xeon 6130 32C 6x PCIe 3.0 x16 Slots
$745.00

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM
$699.00

Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed
$94.95