-
Building new kernel + modules + drivers
I have a 3.6, to which I am trying to add the latest Intel IPW2200 WiFi drivers, etc. I need help with installing the new kernel and modules.
I am comfortable with kernel building, but don't know how Knoppix expects it to be done.
I am working with a chrooted version of KNOPPIX because the poor man's version won't work for me -- the external usb drive is not installed early enough in the boot process to be accessible at the right time.
- the READMEs suggest using a vanilla kernel from kernl.org. I presume that the source tree needs to be linked to /usr/src/linux
* what commands should be used to install the kernel after "make all" so that the kernel image files, etc, appear in all the right places, including the isolinux directories?
* what does /usr/src/Makefile do?
* how to I make sure that all the right modules are in the right places and that the new kernel is configured to pick them up correctly as it is booting?
- I have tried the debian packaged version of the 2.6.7 kernel. Again, it is not clear what commands should be used to install the kernel in all the right places. The package installation script is not very happy operating in a chrooted version of KNOPPIX (eg, there is no /etc/fstab which seems to be one of its ways of searching for /)
- I have seen elsewhere on there forums that a hybrid of the previous two approaches (using dpkg -i with a vanilla kernel) is also feasible.
Producing the disk image has not been an easy experience:
- you do need a swap file, even with 1Gb of RAM, otherwise the system dies after about 45m.
- the documentation talks a lot about the syslinux version of the boot environment, but not much about the isolinux version. The scripts assume the syslinux version. Where can I get help for adapting / checking the isolinux environment?
- When I did, finally, produce an image, it starts to boot in Virtual PC 2004, but get
:
PM: Resume from disk failed
:
VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem)
and the boot hangs (or at least goes slow, because the Virtual PC 2004 machine is still consuming cpu).
I'd be most grateful for pointers. Thanks.
After somthing of a struggle,
Similar Threads
-
By jombeewoof in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 5
Last Post: 07-31-2005, 11:20 PM
-
By kawazu in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 3
Last Post: 09-16-2004, 09:02 AM
-
By bb in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 07-28-2003, 06:29 PM
-
By garyng in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 04-21-2003, 09:54 PM
-
By garyng in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 1
Last Post: 04-11-2003, 03:27 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC
$49.99

Window FX Family Friendly Halloween Collection USB Flash Drive 6 Videos 723046
$24.99

128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service
$39.99

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack
$826.09

USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB
$8.47

Lot 5/10pcs USB Flash Drive Memory Stick 1MB-64GB Pendrive Thumb Drive 8GB 32GB
$282.00

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot
$269.10

Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet
$147.00

FLASHFORGE 3D Printer AD5X Multi-Color IFS Auto Refill High Speed Printing US
$349.00