-
Persistent /home not working
Hello all,
I'm trying to use Knoppix for quick development checks with KDevelop.
I tried and failed to setup a persistant home.
I created it allright, on a partition for itself /dev/hda9
The files are there and I can automount the partition (why ext2 and not ext3 ?)
But the boot command "knoppix home=/dev/hda9" is ignored (or home=scan). I tried several times. /home is always on the ramdisk.
OTOH the myconf=scan or myconf=/dev/hda9 works fine. BTW, the config save script has a bug, it says to use myconfig=/mnt/hda9 instead of myconf=/dev/hda9
Using knoppix 3.6
Side question: is it possible to have ssh and samba start automatically from the myconf script ? I know how to do it from a standard linux install but I'd think it's pretty different here.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Take a look at /etc/mtab after you've started with home=/dev/hda9. If it's mounted correctly, you should see a line that looks like this:
/mnt/hda9 /home/knoppix none rw,bind 0 0
Even better way to find out: Run Knoppix with the cheatcode "home=/dev/hda9" and save a file in /home/knoppix. Restart Knoppix with "home=/dev/hda9" again. Is the file still there?
"/ramdisk/home/knoppix" is just the mount point for your persistent home.

Originally Posted by
dargaud
Side question: is it possible to have ssh and samba start automatically from the myconf script ? I know how to do it from a standard linux install but I'd think it's pretty different here.
I think you have to restart samba and ssh each time you run Knoppix off the Live CD. (From the Knoppix menu to the right of the K menu, under Services.)
Similar Threads
-
By j.drake in forum General Support
Replies: 43
Last Post: 05-15-2005, 01:09 AM
-
By mattperkins26 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 2
Last Post: 02-10-2005, 01:05 PM
-
By ahfoo in forum General Support
Replies: 9
Last Post: 04-20-2004, 06:33 PM
-
By permutations in forum General Support
Replies: 6
Last Post: 02-01-2004, 09:54 PM
-
By arkaine23 in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 08-12-2003, 07:51 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS
$179.98

Dell Precision T5820 Homelab PC - Xeon W-2125 @ 4.00GHz - 16GB RAM - NVIDIA GPU
$349.99

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS
$239.99

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS
$84.49

Genuine Intel Xeon W-2145 3.70Ghz 8 Cores LGA2066 CPU SR3LQ Tested USA SELLER
$94.94

Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA
$350.48

Intel Xeon W-2255 SRGV8 3.7GHz 10-Core LGA2066 Server CPU Processor
$249.99

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM
$699.00

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD
$99.99