Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Persistent /home not working

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Antarctica
    Posts
    1

    Persistent /home not working

    Hello all,

    I'm trying to use Knoppix for quick development checks with KDevelop.

    I tried and failed to setup a persistant home.
    I created it allright, on a partition for itself /dev/hda9
    The files are there and I can automount the partition (why ext2 and not ext3 ?)

    But the boot command "knoppix home=/dev/hda9" is ignored (or home=scan). I tried several times. /home is always on the ramdisk.

    OTOH the myconf=scan or myconf=/dev/hda9 works fine. BTW, the config save script has a bug, it says to use myconfig=/mnt/hda9 instead of myconf=/dev/hda9

    Using knoppix 3.6

    Side question: is it possible to have ssh and samba start automatically from the myconf script ? I know how to do it from a standard linux install but I'd think it's pretty different here.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Portland, OR USA
    Posts
    568
    Take a look at /etc/mtab after you've started with home=/dev/hda9. If it's mounted correctly, you should see a line that looks like this:

    /mnt/hda9 /home/knoppix none rw,bind 0 0

    Even better way to find out: Run Knoppix with the cheatcode "home=/dev/hda9" and save a file in /home/knoppix. Restart Knoppix with "home=/dev/hda9" again. Is the file still there?

    "/ramdisk/home/knoppix" is just the mount point for your persistent home.

    Quote Originally Posted by dargaud
    Side question: is it possible to have ssh and samba start automatically from the myconf script ? I know how to do it from a standard linux install but I'd think it's pretty different here.
    I think you have to restart samba and ssh each time you run Knoppix off the Live CD. (From the Knoppix menu to the right of the K menu, under Services.)

Similar Threads

  1. My persistent home isn't persisting
    By j.drake in forum General Support
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 05-15-2005, 01:09 AM
  2. Persistent home and NTFS
    By mattperkins26 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-10-2005, 01:05 PM
  3. Persistent Home: Where's all my space?
    By ahfoo in forum General Support
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-20-2004, 06:33 PM
  4. persistent home is asking for a password?!?
    By permutations in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-01-2004, 09:54 PM
  5. Question about persistent home
    By arkaine23 in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-12-2003, 07:51 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit picture

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit

$19.99



Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP,  (6 CDS) picture

Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)

$12.00



Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive picture

Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive

$5.99



KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED picture

KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED

$11.99



VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION) picture

VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)

$7.57



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick

$20.85



Knoppix NSM 1.2 picture

Knoppix NSM 1.2

$8.00



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick

$21.42



Hamshack Live DVD-ROM picture

Hamshack Live DVD-ROM

$7.00



Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006 picture

Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006

$34.01