-
ifupdown does not work
Hi,
I am using an HD install of Knoppix 3.4. ifupdown does not work correctly.
=========screenshot===========
# ifconfig eth1
eth1 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr [blah blah]
....
etc.
# ifdown eth1
ifdown: interface eth1 not configured
#
=========screenshot===========
Clearly it is a lie that eth1 is not configured... ifconfig just said it was. And it works fine, I just can't bring it down without rebooting. Which causes many difficulties as you can imagine.
Can anyone help me? Why doesn't this work?
-
Senior Member
registered user
-
Senior Member
registered user
-
OK, I think I figured it out, at least partially.
ifconfig eth1 [up|down]
do work, though ifup and ifdown do not.
Interface eth1 is from a pcmcia wireless ethernet card controled by cardmgr. It is not in the /etc/network/interfaces file. It seems that interfaces not in that file cannot be controlled by ifupdown. It took a long time to figure this out because I always thought ifupdown and ifconfig were essentially identical. I guess that is not the case, thanks for pointing it out.
I have some more [related] networking questions.. I'll start a new thread for those. Thank again for the help.

Originally Posted by
probono
Similar Threads
-
By RedCharlie in forum Networking
Replies: 1
Last Post: 02-28-2005, 12:32 AM
-
By Mokoshi in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 3
Last Post: 02-17-2004, 04:52 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

SK Hynix 1TB PC801 M.2 NVMe PCIe Gen4x4 2280 SSD
$100.00

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$60.00

External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac
$19.99

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$545.25

1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive
$86.95

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1
$99.99

SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM
$159.99

Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb
$1746.47

Seagate Desktop 1TB/1000GB SATA 3.5" HDD Hard Drive
$29.99

External Solid State Drive USB 3.2 Gen2, 1TB SSD External Hard Drive with C to A
$100.00