What does
give?Code:ifconfig eth1 up
Hi,
I am using an HD install of Knoppix 3.4. ifupdown does not work correctly.
=========screenshot===========
# ifconfig eth1
eth1 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr [blah blah]
....
etc.
# ifdown eth1
ifdown: interface eth1 not configured
#
=========screenshot===========
Clearly it is a lie that eth1 is not configured... ifconfig just said it was. And it works fine, I just can't bring it down without rebooting. Which causes many difficulties as you can imagine.
Can anyone help me? Why doesn't this work?
What does
give?Code:ifconfig eth1 up
didn't you mean?Code:ifconfig eth1 down
OK, I think I figured it out, at least partially.
ifconfig eth1 [up|down]
do work, though ifup and ifdown do not.
Interface eth1 is from a pcmcia wireless ethernet card controled by cardmgr. It is not in the /etc/network/interfaces file. It seems that interfaces not in that file cannot be controlled by ifupdown. It took a long time to figure this out because I always thought ifupdown and ifconfig were essentially identical. I guess that is not the case, thanks for pointing it out.
I have some more [related] networking questions.. I'll start a new thread for those. Thank again for the help.
Originally Posted by probono

Refurbished Working 1960's Heathkit EC-1 Educational Electronic Analog Computer
$2999.99
Vintage George A Philbrick Researches Tube Analog Computer Module Serial 005503
$109.99
1969 EAI TR-20 Analog Computer Programming PACE Philbrick Electronic Associates
$36.00
Vintage 1970’s Analogic MP2110 10-Bit A/D Converter Computer Circuit Board
$24.99
Extron RGB-160XI Analog Computer Video 60-378-01
$127.06
Vintage Goodyear Electronic GEDA Analog Computer Plug -- Extremely Rare
$179.00
VINTAGE 1970s SKIT Scientific Kit for Computer & Electronics SEALED INSIDE Rare
$380.00
Vintage Analog Computing Magazines For Atari Computer Owners No 11-20 Acceptable
$75.00
VINTAGE Apple Unidisk Analog Card - Circa 1986 | P/N 820-0190-A
$22.67
Pinnacle Systems GmbH BigBen-51015544-1.2A PCI Video Capture Card
$26.21