Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Renaming network interfaces

  1. #1

    Renaming network interfaces

    Hi,

    I am using an HD install of knoppix 3.4 and am having some trouble getting the network interfaces to behave.

    The machine in question is a laptop with a built in ethernet and sometimes a pcmcia wireless ethernet card. The kernel sometimes names the built in ethernet eth0 and the wireless eth1, sometimes the reverse, depending on whether the pcmcia card is inserted at boot time or is put in later. Both interfaces work fine, but the naming is inconsistent.

    This is problematic for varous reasons. First, the built in ethernet (often) uses a static IP address which is set up in /etc/network/interfaces. This doesn't work when the built in ethernet has an interface name different that expected.

    I am also using the laptop-net package to manage the built-in ethernet. This only works (as far as I can tell) when you know the interface name.

    Some research showed that the use of the nameif utility seemed be called for. This program renames network interfaces based on mac addresses, just what I need, but I haven't been able to get it working. I set up a correct /etc/mactab file and inserted '/sbin/nameif -s' in /etc/init.d/networking; I also inserted the command in /etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig to run prior to the starting of the cardmgr. None of this seems to work, however. As far as I can tell nameif is either not running or is ignored; the kernel insistes on naming the interface as it wants.

    Can anyone help me get my network interfaces consistently named?

  2. #2

    solved interface renaming issue

    I solved this problem. There were actually a couple of problems. First, I had to turn off the dhcp section in the /etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig script. I did this by adding the 'nodhcp' option to my boot parameters. This script was running pump before nameif had a chance to rename the interfaces... now I just let the modified /etc/init.d/networking take care of bringing up the interfaces.

    The other issue was with a pcmcia interface. This interface is acutally brought up and down by cardmgr, so I had to modify the /etc/pcmcia/network.opts file to have it run nameif right before bringing the interface up.

    Now I have both my intrefaces renamed, and named consistently. Hope this info might help somebody else.



    References for the basics of nameif:

    Naming Network Interfaces
    http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/hint...les/nameif.txt


    10.9 Dealing with inconsistent naming of interfaces by the kernel
    http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/re...ateway.en.html

Similar Threads

  1. Renaming the /KNOPPIX file and making it work
    By taloner in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-19-2005, 10:21 AM
  2. Renaming Hard Drives/Partitions
    By Mustang64 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 04-25-2005, 10:21 PM
  3. Renaming Knoppix bits - what will break?
    By DunkyB in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-15-2005, 03:17 PM
  4. One netcard, two logical interfaces.
    By linux_Fred in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-12-2005, 05:15 PM
  5. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-27-2003, 05:54 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller picture

Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller

$64.99



Broadcom MegaRAID 9480-8e Fujitsu PRAID EP540e SAS RAID Card (Replac 9380-8e) 8i picture

Broadcom MegaRAID 9480-8e Fujitsu PRAID EP540e SAS RAID Card (Replac 9380-8e) 8i

$228.00



G-Technology G-SPEED Studio XL 48TB Thunderbolt 2 Storage - Housing Only picture

G-Technology G-SPEED Studio XL 48TB Thunderbolt 2 Storage - Housing Only

$200.00



EMC KTN-SL3 15-Bay Disk Array Enclosure w/2x 303-108-000E Cards, Dual PSU,No HDD picture

EMC KTN-SL3 15-Bay Disk Array Enclosure w/2x 303-108-000E Cards, Dual PSU,No HDD

$239.99



Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV picture

Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV

$18.95



OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2  for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs picture

OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs

$87.99



WAVLINK RAID 2 Bay Hard Drive Docking Station SATA 2.5/3.5'' SSD HDD Enclosure picture

WAVLINK RAID 2 Bay Hard Drive Docking Station SATA 2.5/3.5'' SSD HDD Enclosure

$119.99



MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00 picture

MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00

$1619.30



Areca ARC-1882IX-24 (16i4e)24-Port RAID Controller Card w/BBU /HDD Monitor Board picture

Areca ARC-1882IX-24 (16i4e)24-Port RAID Controller Card w/BBU /HDD Monitor Board

$300.00



Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD picture

Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD

$265.00