-
Junior Member
registered user
Unrar in Linux
I downloaded winrar for linux, but I have no idea how to install it. Can some explain the install process for WInrar? (I need to extract something). And can you try to make it as simple as possible?
I've heard that you can use "tar" to extract rar files. Can someone explain how to extract a file using tar?
Thanx in advance.
-
Senior Member
registered user
# apt-get install unrar
unrar -x <file>
SImple eh?
For further details:
man unrar
unrar --usage
-
Junior Member
registered user
thanx, but i get his message when i try to install:
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
Package unrar is not available, but is referre
This may mean that the package is missing, has
is only available from another source
E: Package unrar has no installation candidate
-
Junior Member
registered user
-
Senior Member
registered user
"unrar" is definitely in the debian package pool. Maybe you need to run "apt-get update" before "apt-get -t testing install unrar". Make sure you're online before this ;-)
-
Junior Member
registered user
okay, i'm updating 
I did find a way to access unrar, but whenever i try unrar -x <myfile>, it always says, that command (unrar) can't be used.
-
Junior Member
registered user
i updated, but it didn't install Unrar.
I found if you go to the unrar file i downloaded in the konsole, it starts unrar. My problem is, the bash doesn't seem to reconise the comman "unrar"
-
Junior Member
registered user
I restarted the apt-get install unrar line and now its installing. Hopefully it will work. Thanks guys.
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
sethosayher
ahhh Bump
A whole 70 minutes you waited then you bumped?!
I've waited longer than that for paid tech support!
Well I must confess that I forget to tell noobs to do apt-get update and read the apt/dpkg howto.
Similar Threads
-
By istoleapig in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 02-19-2005, 09:28 AM
-
By mpeden in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 2
Last Post: 12-11-2004, 12:09 AM
-
By RisenDeMoN in forum General Support
Replies: 12
Last Post: 09-03-2004, 10:42 PM
-
By Lame_Duck in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 0
Last Post: 02-08-2004, 05:19 PM
-
By janmartin3 in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 11-17-2003, 09:21 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

128GB (4x32GB) SK hynix DDR4 PC4-2666V RDIMM ECC Server Ram HMA84GR7CJR4N-VK
$799.00

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On
$450.00

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001
$245.00

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM
$1499.00

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO
$308.00

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$524.99

Microsoft Windows Server 2022 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key&
$69.90

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD
$99.99