There's been a whole bunch of discussion on running the compressed image from hd here, and there is also a FAQ on the same subject.
rock
Hi,
I am currently running dual boot ME/XP on my laptop and want to know if it is possible to do the "poor man's installation" that is to copy \KNOPPIX\KNOPPIX to C:\.
It should be easy to boot from floppy but I want to know if it is possible to do it without CD/floppy.
Can I make the boot floppy and take the first 512 byte(boot sector) and let the NT boot loader load it ?
There's been a whole bunch of discussion on running the compressed image from hd here, and there is also a FAQ on the same subject.
rock
Yup, I have read them but still haven't found a solution to run and boot from HD without installing(a seperate LINUX partition).
I am experimenting with lilo and accidentally screw up the MBR and wiped out my whole HD, will continue to try once I have installed all the M$ stuff.
Yup, I hate when that happens!
Anyway, there is a discussion out there about just copying KNOPPIX to the M$ WINDOZE drive and booting from the floppy image. I don't know if they discussed how to do a dual boot in this way without the floppy.
Regards,
Have you looked at this thread?
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1075
I expect you are using the xp bootloader, I can't help you there as I've hardly even seen xp run, but I know I've seen posts about setting up the xp bootloader, so you may be able to use the same approach as the lilo setup in
oscar's second post.
HTH
rock
I know how to let XP/NT loader load the lilo sector which is supposed to be installed on a seperate partition for linux(I have done that before). But never tried that on an ME(FAT32) one as described by the FAQ. Playing on same the partition is extremely dangerous and I learnt that the hard way. Still working on it and reading the lilo howto.

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch
$19.99
Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch
$129.99
NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch
$49.99
Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks
$224.95
10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W
$39.99
TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597
$36.98
5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S...
$9.64
Arista DCS-7050SX-64-R 48P 10GbE SFP+ 4P 40GbE QSFP+ RA Switch
$115.00
5Ports Gigabit Network Switch w/ 4 PoE+ Ports Total 52W each port 30W Plug&Play
$31.99
Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch
$46.99