Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: KNOPPIX boot from Window ME ?

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872

    KNOPPIX boot from Window ME ?

    Hi,

    I am currently running dual boot ME/XP on my laptop and want to know if it is possible to do the "poor man's installation" that is to copy \KNOPPIX\KNOPPIX to C:\.

    It should be easy to boot from floppy but I want to know if it is possible to do it without CD/floppy.

    Can I make the boot floppy and take the first 512 byte(boot sector) and let the NT boot loader load it ?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Podunk, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    470
    There's been a whole bunch of discussion on running the compressed image from hd here, and there is also a FAQ on the same subject.

    rock

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872
    Yup, I have read them but still haven't found a solution to run and boot from HD without installing(a seperate LINUX partition).

    I am experimenting with lilo and accidentally screw up the MBR and wiped out my whole HD , will continue to try once I have installed all the M$ stuff.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256
    Yup, I hate when that happens!

    Anyway, there is a discussion out there about just copying KNOPPIX to the M$ WINDOZE drive and booting from the floppy image. I don't know if they discussed how to do a dual boot in this way without the floppy.

    Regards,

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Podunk, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    470
    Have you looked at this thread?

    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1075

    I expect you are using the xp bootloader, I can't help you there as I've hardly even seen xp run, but I know I've seen posts about setting up the xp bootloader, so you may be able to use the same approach as the lilo setup in
    oscar's second post.

    HTH

    rock

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872
    I know how to let XP/NT loader load the lilo sector which is supposed to be installed on a seperate partition for linux(I have done that before). But never tried that on an ME(FAT32) one as described by the FAQ. Playing on same the partition is extremely dangerous and I learnt that the hard way. Still working on it and reading the lilo howto.

Similar Threads

  1. Boot other window manager when KDE is removed (3.6 remaster)
    By GnuJoe in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-11-2004, 02:27 PM
  2. clean boot into window manager
    By John in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-12-2004, 02:25 AM
  3. How do you recover Window files via Knoppix?
    By go2 in forum General Support
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 03-26-2004, 01:59 AM
  4. show window contents while dragging in KDE for Knoppix?
    By bubazoo in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-21-2003, 07:06 PM
  5. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-03-2003, 02:21 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


2-Bay/4-Bay Hard Drive Enclosure for 3.5

2-Bay/4-Bay Hard Drive Enclosure for 3.5"/2.5'' SATA HDD/SSD 10Gbps USB-C 3.2

$75.99



Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003 picture

Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003

$639.69



OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2  for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs picture

OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs

$87.99



Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD picture

Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD

$265.00



WAVLINK RAID 2 Bay Hard Drive Docking Station SATA 2.5/3.5'' SSD HDD Enclosure picture

WAVLINK RAID 2 Bay Hard Drive Docking Station SATA 2.5/3.5'' SSD HDD Enclosure

$119.99



Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV picture

Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV

$18.95



Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller picture

Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller

$64.99



Sans Digital TR5UT-B 3.5

Sans Digital TR5UT-B 3.5" 5-Bay Black External Storage JBOD/RAID

$150.00



Adaptec ASR-71605 16-Port 1Gbps PCIe RAID Card High Profile picture

Adaptec ASR-71605 16-Port 1Gbps PCIe RAID Card High Profile

$18.49



Broadcom MegaRAID 9461-16i SAS/SATA/NVME Tri-Mode PCIe RAID Controller picture

Broadcom MegaRAID 9461-16i SAS/SATA/NVME Tri-Mode PCIe RAID Controller

$295.00