Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: What are these services?

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981

    What are these services?

    I have done an upgrade on Knx 3.4 full HD install, now I have a lot of services starting in runlevel 5 that were not there before. I would like to know what these are & if any of them are necessary. It would appear not, since before the up grade I had only cupsys, samba & ssh. Now I have :
    sysklogd
    klogd
    isdnactivecard
    ppp
    bind9
    portmap
    apmd
    cupsys
    dbus-1
    dhcp3-server
    distcc
    ipx
    isdnutils
    makedev
    partimaged
    pcmcia
    pppstatus
    rsync
    samba
    smail
    ssh
    sslwrap
    xfs
    aumix
    bluez-utils
    mdadm
    nvtv
    cron
    xdm
    OK, a few of these I know (like ppp) but can anybody tell me what these are & why/how did the upgrade suddenly think they were needed?
    (I also had nis which took forever to boot trying to set up y-something so I have already removed it. Dunno what it was either but I'm still running)

    Also, running 2.6 kernel I get a startup error
    Code:
    audit(series of numbers, can't copy that fast)
    RAMDISK: incomplete write (-28 ! = 32768)
    Happens on both my machines (desktop & laptop) but doesn't seem to affect anything, systems seem to start OK. any idea what this is?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510
    I don't know anything about the 2.6 error. I think that a upgrade defaults to enabling ALL services. I too have seen it add many servivces to my default runlevel.

    sysklogd - system logger - syslog - IMHO necessay
    klogd - kernel logging - IMHO necessary
    isdnactivecard - isdn something - probably not necessary
    bind9 - DNS server - not necessary
    portmap
    apmd - Advanced Power managerment service - useful for laptops - IMHO, not necessary
    cupsys
    dbus-1 - DBUS is a new inter procesess commiuncation protocol that is part of the new Gnome infrastructure. DBUS is now being slowly interegrated into KDE. If you use Gnome then you will probably want this.
    dhcp3-server - DHCP server - not necessary
    distcc - Distributed C compiler - not necessary
    ipx - IPX/SPX protocol acecss for connecting to Netware servers/clients - not necessary
    isdnutils
    makedev
    partimaged - Partion Image server - not necessary
    pcmcia - not necessary unless you are running on a a laptop
    pppstatus
    rsync - file/folder syncronization server - not necessary
    samba - windows file/print server - not necessary
    smail
    ssh
    sslwrap
    xfs
    aumix
    bluez-utils - bluetooth utilities - not necesary unless you use bluetooth
    mdadm
    nvtv - nvidia tv out - not necessary
    cron - cron is a system scheduler - IMHO necessary

    I hope this helps.
    James

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981
    Thanks. That helps.

Similar Threads

  1. chrooted environment, using web services
    By rahtz in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-06-2004, 10:23 PM
  2. newbie question about nfs and services
    By salted in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-05-2004, 12:59 AM
  3. script for services
    By fsiviero in forum Ideas
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-22-2003, 08:35 PM
  4. Where are controls for ALL daemons/services in KNX 3.2?
    By athlonthunder in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-10-2003, 03:23 AM
  5. services writeable
    By schwuuf in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-04-2003, 08:30 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$100.00



Western Digital Blue 3D NAND 500GB Internal 2.5

Western Digital Blue 3D NAND 500GB Internal 2.5" SSD - WDS500G2B0A

$49.99



Netac 120GB 256GB 1TB 2TB Internal SSD 2.5'' SATAIII 6Gb/s Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 120GB 256GB 1TB 2TB Internal SSD 2.5'' SATAIII 6Gb/s Solid State Drive lot

$119.99



Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot

$549.00



Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1

$99.99



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive -

$36.99



Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive picture

Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive

$42.99



Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD picture

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD

$129.99



Samsung 250GB SSD 850 EVO 2.5

Samsung 250GB SSD 850 EVO 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive MZ7LN250 MZ-75E250

$25.99



Netac 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATA Solid State Drive lot PC Laptop picture

Netac 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATA Solid State Drive lot PC Laptop

$221.00