Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Restructing Knoppix HD installation

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981

    Restructing Knoppix HD installation

    My laptop has only 6 gig HD which seemed massive when I bought it some years ago!
    Currently I have:

    hda1=1.9 G
    hda5=2.3 G
    hda6=1.4 G
    hda7=130Megs (swap)

    Hda1 has a minimal install of winME which leaves enough space for a 'toHD' Knoppix
    hda5 has Knoppix HDinstall, usually about 90% full (I'm still experimenting with applications)
    hda6 is vfat data shared by all systems, also has persistent home for the toHD install.

    I would like to have more space for Knoppix, something like

    hda1=1.2 G (winME only)
    hda5=3 G (Knoppix)
    hda6&7=1.8 (Data& swap)

    Problem is, I don't want to to a complete gut & rebuild to get there. QTparted is not able to resize hda1, it thinks it is 100% used probably because winME writes something to the last sector of the disk as well as the first. But QTparted or maybe cfisk might be able to create another partition out of hda1 which I could then use as a separate partition for /usr or /var to free up some space in hda5.
    Assuming I can manage to create the partition, how would I transfer over the /usr directory?
    Or does anybody have any other suggestions?

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    I don't quite understand how you'll be able to make a new partition without resizing an old one to make space for it. If you do manage to do it, you only need to copy over /usr to it and make a line in fstab to get it mounted on the new partition. All in all, usr would need a lot of space unless you do some cleaning up. Check to see what's eating up space in /usr with:
    cd /usr
    du -a|sort -n|tail

    The last line will tell you total space.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    111
    Well I just did what you talk about using partimage.

    I backed up my hda1 and hda2 using partimage and then nuked both partitions and
    recreated them using cfdisk to gain more space on my knoppix.

    Then I restored the images and ran lilo and it worked.

    But you might not have enough space on the shared drive to do it.

    Also, since I made my hda1 (DOS) smaller it did complain about not having the same
    size but it did still work.

Similar Threads

  1. how big is the HDD installation for knoppix 3.3?
    By Jiros in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-21-2004, 04:53 PM
  2. Knoppix installation...
    By Stealth870 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 06-08-2004, 04:04 PM
  3. Knoppix 3.2 HD installation
    By abeyve in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-15-2004, 04:30 AM
  4. Probleme nach installation!! - Problems after installation!!
    By Mr.Redhat in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-11-2004, 02:46 PM
  5. New Knoppix Installation without CD
    By rue-bock in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-06-2003, 09:09 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$60.00



External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac picture

External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac

$19.99



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$545.25



Dell Latitude 15.6” FHD Core i5 Laptop PC Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 picture

Dell Latitude 15.6” FHD Core i5 Laptop PC Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11

$352.73



SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM picture

SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM

$159.99



1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive picture

1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive

$86.95



Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16

Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb

$1746.47



Netac 2TB 1TB 500GB Internal SSD M.2 NVMe PCIe3.0 Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 500GB Internal SSD M.2 NVMe PCIe3.0 Solid State Drive lot

$129.99



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i7 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$330.73



Seagate Desktop 1TB/1000GB SATA 3.5

Seagate Desktop 1TB/1000GB SATA 3.5" HDD Hard Drive

$29.99