-
Reduce the HDD instalation size?
Hi everybody;
I installed a knoppix 3.6 on my HDD.It is aprx. 2 GB but i want to reduce this size as small as I can.I just want to use Mozilla for web browser and a just a plug-in for mozilla thats all.Do have any idea which programs that I can remove?
And moreover how much space does the Knoppix Kernel takes on Hdd.and How much I can get it smaller on my hardisk?
Thanks for your Consideration
Eray BALAT
-
It might be easier to start with a smaller knoppix based distro like DamnSmall.
You could see what eats up most space with: dpkg-query -W --showformat='${Installed-Size} ${Package}\n' | sort -n
Removing just Open Office and KDE would give you quite a lot of space.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Well, if you dont need/want kde it can get quite small.
If its not important to use knoppix 3.6 I would suggest using
mini knoppix from www.inittab.com
Its 200 mb iso or 536 mb installed.
Its hard to strip a 3.6 without it falling apart. Or maybe its just me.
-
what if I remove KDE?Do i lost ability to use mozilla or any plugins like Vlc on it?Because the only thing is to use mozilla and Vlc plugin for it.I am gonna use Mozilla for a POI(point of information) machine.
-
Senior Member
registered user
I dont know for sure but I think you can still use mozilla.
Try to boot using another manager than kde and see if it still works.
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
rayesteq
what if I remove KDE?Do i lost ability to use mozilla or any plugins like Vlc on it?Because the only thing is to use mozilla and Vlc plugin for it.I am gonna use Mozilla for a POI(point of information) machine.
Of course you can still use Mozilla. To get rid of KDE do this:
apt-get remove libarts1
-
"Of course you can still use Mozilla. To get rid of KDE do this:
apt-get remove libarts1"
Doesn't that take away parts of KDE needed for the installer? If so, it would be better to start with Knoppix 3.3 (which has the old installer that will run command line), or save the removal of KDE till after installing to the HD.
But certainly Mozilla is as happy running in Windowmaker or XFCE.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Here is some of what I do & this is all from my memory, so I might be wrong. This should free up about at least 300MB if not closer to 400MB :
NOTE: If I remove a package that I was not certain of its fuction or necessity, I run every critical application, websurf, listen to music, burn CDs, essentially stressing the machine to see if I have broken anything.
On a new install I
Code:
apt-get install aptitude synaptic localepurge
I install localepurge which will only keep your language localization on the machine and will delete the others.
I use apt-get to remove the following:
Code:
apt-get remove openoffice-de-en trans-de-en frozen-bubble enigma chromium bacula-common amanda-common emacs emacsen zile xtel manpages-de
I keep KDE but I remove the KDE internationalization pakages, so at a command prompt try the following:
Code:
dpkg-query -l | grep kde | grep i18n | cut -d' ' -f3
Then I feed that to apt-get
Code:
apt-get remove `dpkg-query -l | grep kde | grep i18n | cut -d' ' -f3`
I then boot into KDE or IceWM and use synaptic and remove in groups of 3 the DEV libraries (such as libsomelibrary-dev) and test to make sure the system is stable. Since my desktop is not using wireless or wlan, I use synaptic and remove any wfi or wireless packages. Since my desktop is not a server I remove apache, php, mysql, bind, dhcserver, and squid.
I hope this helps.
James
-
Senior Member
registered user
See this:
http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.ph...HDInstallHowTo
The wiki is primarily about doing a remaster but there are some tips about removing packages & customizing in it. In particular:
Code:
dpkg-query -W --showformat='${Installed-Size} ${Package}\n' | sort -n
will list packages sorted by size.
You can then decide what you want to keep.
You can use a purgelist to remove multiple packages at once:
example purgelist :
3270* ace-of* amanda* anacron artwiz-cursor atitvout bonobo* brltty chromium* emacs* enigma euro* falconseye* fetchmail fluxbox fortunes* freeciv*
Note that this is a space-separated list, all on one line and that wildcards are permitted. If you use a CR separated list and apt-get comes to an item it cannot find, it will not continue. If you use dpkg instead of apt-get you cannot use wildcards. OpenOffice can generate a space separated list from a CR separated by saving as filetype .csv
The command for using the purgelist is
Code:
apt-get remove `cat purgelist `
(The ` is the character under the tilde (~) key.)
Code:
Apt-get remove kde-i18n*
will remove about 100 meg of uneeded language support.
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
stuart_b
Doesn't that take away parts of KDE needed for the installer? If so, it would be better to start with Knoppix 3.3 (which has the old installer that will run command line), or save the removal of KDE till after installing to the HD.
But certainly Mozilla is as happy running in Windowmaker or XFCE.
Well yes you are correct, it does remove the installer but what do you need that for when you've already installed?
Similar Threads
-
By ary in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 0
Last Post: 10-06-2005, 05:39 AM
-
By altella2005 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 03-14-2005, 07:35 PM
-
By fsiviero in forum Ideas
Replies: 7
Last Post: 03-04-2004, 08:17 PM
-
By massai in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 6
Last Post: 01-24-2004, 01:41 AM
-
By hnt in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 08-19-2003, 09:36 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack
$826.09

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC
$49.99

128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service
$39.99

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot
$269.10

USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB
$8.47

Lot 5/10pcs USB Flash Drive Memory Stick 1MB-64GB Pendrive Thumb Drive 8GB 32GB
$282.00

LOT 10x SanDisk 32GB ULTRA USB 3.0 flash drive SDCZ48-032G 32 GB read 100 MB/s
$39.80

Lenovo 2TB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Metal Pendrive High Speed Data Storage
$9.50

Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive
$35.00

FLASHFORGE 3D Printer AD5X Multi-Color IFS Auto Refill High Speed Printing US
$349.00