-
Senior Member
registered user
Grub error 17
I just installed Knoppix 3.6 over my non-functioning and too cramped Gentoo install which dualbooted with Windows XP. Removed the Linux partitions, created some new ones (swap + reiserfs). But now my system won't boot. I'm getting an "error 17" from grub. It's a VIA EPIA-800 which previously booted with grub just fine.
It would be kind of handy to at least have a solution for getting into Windows XP again. The system doesn't have a floppy drive, so the 'recovery console' stuff of Windows NT(+) I've seen should not work.
[edit] I forgot to tell I used knoppix-installer-web-latest, and used it to install a 'debian like' system. The partition (/dev/hda3) has 400+ MB free, so that's not a problem. And I can't seem to find the grub config file. Usually you can expect it to be in /boot/grub/ but it's not there...
-
Senior Member
registered user
I've tried installing Knoppix 3.6 with kernel 2.4, and now (qt)parted didn't mown about a wrong drive geometry, and grub Just Works(tm).
Yay ^_^
Similar Threads
-
By kb0hae in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 07-14-2005, 08:27 PM
-
By rrfish72 in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 10-22-2004, 11:54 PM
-
By ocean in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 10-01-2004, 01:26 PM
-
By SgtRauksauff in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 7
Last Post: 05-06-2004, 12:38 AM
-
By fingers99 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 12
Last Post: 08-09-2003, 07:13 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN
$115.00

Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026
$12.99

OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC
$175.00

Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Enterprise 40 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License FPP
$299.00

1U Rackmount PC Intel Core i5-2520M 8GB RAM 500GB HDD Ubuntu Linux Server
$109.99

Linux 5.2 The Complete Redhat Operating System Deluxe Secure Server 3 CD Book
$37.49

All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive
$15.95

ZimaBoard 2 1664 Home Server 16GB
$350.00

Sun Enterprise e450 400mhz cpu(x4), 4gb ram, 9gb HD w/spud most complete on ebay
$500.00

SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA
$284.99