Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: dpkg - how to mark all packages 'Hold'

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    70

    dpkg - how to mark all packages 'Hold'

    Other than using dselect and marking each package individually, is there a way to mark all packages hold? Something that could be used in a script maybe?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,159
    If you set all on hold, you can't upgrade anything...

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    111
    deleted: didn't work as expected

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    70
    Yep!, that's true. Hold will prohibit dselect from updating. It won't disallow me from overiding a hold for update on a package by package basis. All I have to do is mark the packages I want updated with +.

    Since I've been working with Knoppix V3.6 I've found that if the first thing I do in dselect is update, nothing in select, go to install, I get a list of about 20 new packages to install and 384 to be upgraded. The first few times I did this I thought okay, let it do what it thinks it should do. Boy, was I wrong. I could never get a good test boot after that. It would try to install mount and sysv-init and remove mount-aes and who knows what else.

    Now, the first thing I do is mark all packages hold. Then update so I can select a few packages I want (like aptitude) without interference from dselect update setting its own agenda of what packages I should have. My test boots now work consistently as I winnow the package list down smaller and smaller. Once I have a base package list, I'll selectivily update packages to latest versions.

    At this point I have most of the process in script except for setting all packages to hold. I am still doing this manually and would like to have it done for me from a script. Any ideas?

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    111
    Yeah. I actually wanted the same from a script so I fiddled around..

    # dpkg-query -W --showformat='echo ${Package} hold | dpkg --set-selections\n' > holdall
    # chmod 777 holdall
    # holdall

    This creates a script with all package names found with the query thing and append cmds to hold the package.

    --> It takes quite some time to finish.
    4 mins here.
    you can open another shell and write
    dpkg --get-selections
    and see how far its come down the list

    hope it helps

  6. #6
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    70
    Brilliant!

    I looked and looked and didn't see that solution. man dpkg describes the option but not clearly enough for me.

    I changed the script and it ran on my system in about 1 second. Do you get the same?

    dpkg-query -W --showformat='${Package} hold\n' | dpkg --set-selections

    Thanks again metavoid

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    111
    >I changed the script and it ran on my system in about 1 second. Do you get the same?

    Well first time I was compiling and it took like 4 mins.

    Then I reran it agian to unhold all again and that took like 2-3 secs.

    Glad it worked for you.

    Ohh. A far more clever version
    Thanks. Im not good at bash yet.

    dpkg-query -W --showformat='${Package} hold\n' | dpkg --set-selections

    This one does the job in 1 sec !

  8. #8
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    70
    I'm not all that great. One of the things I do early in creating a script is seperate the input and output to files so I can see what is being created at each stage. When I get it working I link them up with pipe.

    My first computers 20 years ago were unix and custom real-time operating systems. Oh, ya, there was a time I had everything Amiga. About 15 years ago I ended up on MS stuff doing database applications. I only started back into unix a month ago. Boy things have changed; except, at a basic level it is just as I remember when I started so many years ago. Catching up on all the new great stuff everybody is doing has my head spinning.

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    111
    Hehe. 20 years ago I had something called a power 3000. I had an 16 KB! extra memory module and it was really hardcore..
    Been using Windows since first beta. Started linux 2 years ago and
    suddenly found home. Im writing this inside a virtual pc running knoppix 3.6. It works great. When finsih fiddling with it, I partimage it to a real partition and use the image to nuke XP. After I found knoppix I felt at home. Its really powerfull and there is very little fiddling with hardware.

Similar Threads

  1. Using DPKG to install deb packages
    By kepler in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-15-2004, 12:36 PM
  2. apt-get / dpkg error: unable to access dpkg status area
    By Nitromethane1261 in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-15-2004, 12:09 AM
  3. Hold me tight...
    By nishtya in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-24-2004, 03:32 AM
  4. Removing broken packages in dselect/dpkg
    By leecming in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-29-2004, 06:42 AM
  5. dpkg--create new packages file
    By CrashedAgain in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-08-2004, 03:47 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch picture

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch

$19.99



NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch picture

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch

$49.99



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99



TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed picture

TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed

$199.99



10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W picture

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W

$39.99



TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597 picture

TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597

$36.98



5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S... picture

5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S...

$9.64



Arista DCS-7050SX-64-R 48P 10GbE SFP+ 4P 40GbE QSFP+ RA Switch picture

Arista DCS-7050SX-64-R 48P 10GbE SFP+ 4P 40GbE QSFP+ RA Switch

$115.00



Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks picture

Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks

$224.95



TP-Link 5-Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch Network Expansion TL-SG105 picture

TP-Link 5-Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch Network Expansion TL-SG105

$19.95