Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: NX Server Tuning Questions

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    228

    NX Server Tuning Questions

    I am using the NX Server included with KNX 3.6 (as well as ProBono's fantastic klik package on KNX 3.4) and can get KDE desktop sessions with very pleasing results. Now I am trying to tune the environment a little. I am running into the following questions, and not finding results on No Machines tech support page as far as really resolving them in the commercial NX Server environment. Here are my questions in no particular order:

    1) Has anyone gotten multimedia (on the client services tab in configuration) to work? When I log into No Machines testdrive servers, I always get the KDE system startup / shutdown sounds, but the server is (wisely) locked down and I can't see how to configure from the server end.

    2) Has anyone gotten access to their local shares or printers (again via the services tab) to work? Where do these resources show up at in the KDE (or other) environment? In citrix they show up as a network drive or printer.

    3) Has anyone been able to publish a single application, as opposed to using the full KDE desktop? When I try to run mozilla or xterm (using the client configuration general tab, selecting desktop Unix and custom, settings button, run command mozilla) it authenticates properly, and opens up an NX window, but the screen is remains totally black with a big X for the cursor. Nothing else. Nada.

    Looking forward to any help the group may be able to give.

    Regards,

    ~pau1

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900
    I would recommend updating your nx packages on the server side.

    echo "deb http://www.kalyxo.org/debian/ experimental main" >> /etc/apt/sources.list

    The latest versions:

    ii nxagent 1.4.0-3.3
    ii nxclient 1.4.0-12.3
    ii nxproxy 1.4.0-3.3
    ii nxserver 0.2-4.1
    ii nxssh 1.4.0-3.3
    ii nxtunnel-client 1.4.0-3.3
    ii nxtunnel-server 1.4.0-3.3

    I can log in from a windows box using NXClient version 1.3.2. I have not been able to use multimedia or printing shares but neither have I put much effort into it.

    It does work to launch a single application however w/ Run Command> firefox or Eterm (those were the only 2 I tried).

    Also (for anyone interested) you can export xfce4 too from your server using Run Command> startxfce4 or on the server simply ln -s startxfce4 gnome-session and then choose GNOME in the client configuration.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    228
    Thanks for confirming that you were able to run a single application. Is this from a hard drive install, as firefox is not part of a stock KNOPPIX distro? I am trying to run everything directly from CD (or CD image on HD).


    Still looking for other input with this request.

    Regards,

    Paul

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900
    Quote Originally Posted by pau1knopp
    Thanks for confirming that you were able to run a single application. Is this from a hard drive install,
    Indeed it is.

    as firefox is not part of a stock KNOPPIX distro?
    Sorry no idea.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    788
    I didn't run nxserver from knoppix3.6 cd but from kanotix hdd. I have tested in two environment (LAN offcourse). I haven't try run it from net, I don't know how, need to subscribe to no-machine I guess.

    1) Using xp pro as client.
    Running okay. I can run everything like running it from my kanotix pc....offcourse, because it's running from there.
    I haven't try multimedia (sound) yet. May be I need to enable networksound.

    2) Using pxes thin client pxes.sourceforge.net
    This need a bit of effort. If your server not running dhcp server, you need to assign an ip to your client. Else you will not be able to login and get a message 'ssh servece died unexpectedly'. You can set an ip by using ifconfig eth0 xx.xx.xx.xx up.
    The other problem is the size of my display. It will be bigger, like 800x600, eventhough I set it to 1024x768.
    Other than that, I don't see any problem.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-09-2005, 10:08 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-11-2004, 06:09 AM
  3. X server crash: "Fatal server error: Active ring not fl
    By cmcclean in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-03-2003, 01:52 PM
  4. Many Questions
    By AlterEgo in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-13-2003, 09:41 PM
  5. Terminal Server: Suspend to Server for clients
    By Robert Michel in forum Ideas
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-26-2003, 01:21 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD

$378.93



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb

$374.99



Dell Poweredge C4130 2x LGA2011-3 1U 4x GPU Rackmount Server CTO (NO CPU/NO RAM) picture

Dell Poweredge C4130 2x LGA2011-3 1U 4x GPU Rackmount Server CTO (NO CPU/NO RAM)

$299.95



Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700 picture

Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700

$289.99



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD

$149.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell PowerEdge R730 8 Bay Server 64Gb 1x80Gb SSD 3x900Gb SAS 2x12c v4CPU Proxmox picture

Dell PowerEdge R730 8 Bay Server 64Gb 1x80Gb SSD 3x900Gb SAS 2x12c v4CPU Proxmox

$620.00



Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD

$99.99



Dell PowerEdge R730 Server 2x Xeon E5-2630 V4 64GB DDR4 2TB HDD Rackmount picture

Dell PowerEdge R730 Server 2x Xeon E5-2630 V4 64GB DDR4 2TB HDD Rackmount

$489.99