Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: ads/donations

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    818

    ads/donations

    I was planning to put up a link to a donate page for Klaus/Knoppix, he says donate to the debian project , which you can do here : http://www.debian.org/donations

    But for this site, in order to pay for bandwidth, hardware etc, i need a little money. What would you think about me putting some small text ads on the site? or should i ask for donations? or should I do neither and pay for everything myself ?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    199
    I think a banner ad at the top, and one at the bottom, as long as they are tasteful and not too bandwidth hungery would be fine, espcially if the "profit" was used for the site, as in any money beyond the monthly cost for the site could be used for providing a mirror for knoppix....



    another idea.... allow 3 options after you log in:
    1) see the banners every time
    2) donate money to turn off the banners/select which banners you do/do not want to see
    3) no banners/banners asking for a donation....



    just an idea.. I feel that eadz is providing a great service, and should not have to shoulder the cost alone.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    196
    Personally i hate banners of any sort, but i know many people will tolerate them. Text-ads are a better idea, but with both i don't really know what you could expect as a compensation. Donations, well, i guess people wouldn't quickly donate money. It's a tough question

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    5
    generally i don't like banners (esp. pop-ups). i also use the block popups and block images from certain ad-servers, however, i don't block ads nor pop-ups (i might even manually unblock pop-ups) for sites/organizations which i like (OSS sites, etc). not everyone can donate, and ads are a way to make a little income while maintaining a site.

    i'd say ads are ok here too, and also, a request from the users not to block them (as they become useless to the site maintainer while blocked).

    even clicking an ad once in a while is a show of appreciation, and it only takes few seconds, and few more KB, while it may add some more cents to the site who shows the ad.

    cheers

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    199
    I dont ever even notice most banners, I just automatically ignore them.... I understand that they bother people, which is why I added the donation option to my list of suggestions, and I agree that some people wont want to pay or see the adds. That is their perogative.... hopefully, enough people would put up with it to help eadz out.....

    Personally, I would LOVE to donate, but i am a poor college student, and couldn't donate much, nor as much as i would like to this great site, and putting up with adds would help eadz out a bit... (i am on the board quite a bit... and would have a large impact on the add revenue... i hope...)

    I definatly dont think eadz should have to pay for the site and bandwidth on his own.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353
    EADZ,

    I didn't see this post until today. How much is it costing you on a monthly basis to have this site running? If enough people chipped in, the amount of money that people would need to donate on a monthly basis might not be that high. On the other hand I'm not averse to the banner ads either.

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    177
    I have no objection to non-porn banners. I hate pop-ups.

  8. #8
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    73
    ads = ok
    pop-ups = not
    donations = not sure

    i would gladly donate to .net eadz, just ask and i can find a way.

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Dallas Tx
    Posts
    9

    donations

    I dont thinkg its a bad idea but its like they should have a place where you could mail in money or somthing cuz its like if you have a 1,000 people sending in a dollar each they got $1,000 right there so i think the donations should be giving but there shouuld also be a place to mail money in.

  10. #10
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    24
    Any update/resolution to the donation issue?

    I LOVE Knoppix-- My system was installed via knoppix (with the help of these forums for tweaking), and i keep getting other people hooked on Knoppix. I'm no programmer, but I'd love to give something back-- and I have a few disposable bucks right now.

    Thanks!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


INTEL XEON E5-2680V4 SR2N7 2.40GHZ CPU picture

INTEL XEON E5-2680V4 SR2N7 2.40GHZ CPU

$11.00



Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS picture

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS

$239.99



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA picture

Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA

$350.48



Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS picture

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS

$179.98



Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS picture

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS

$84.49



DELL Precision 5820 Workstation Xeon W-2123 3.6ghz/NO RAM/NO SSD/P400 Vid picture

DELL Precision 5820 Workstation Xeon W-2123 3.6ghz/NO RAM/NO SSD/P400 Vid

$139.99



Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Gold 6130 2.10GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA picture

Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Gold 6130 2.10GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA

$374.48



Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00



DELL Precision T3420 | Xeon 1240v6 | 525GB SSD |16GB RAM |Nvidia GPU |Win11 picture

DELL Precision T3420 | Xeon 1240v6 | 525GB SSD |16GB RAM |Nvidia GPU |Win11

$149.00