Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: dual-boot knoppix rhe3 (no windoze!)

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    20

    dual-boot knoppix rhe3 (no windoze!)

    I have successfully put knoppix 3.6 on my box, now I want to set up an rhe3 rebuild (centos-3) on the 15gig I left for that purpose. Running the installer is easier enough, but I'm at a loss for booting. Knoppix defaults to lilo; rhe to grub. Have any of y'all out there already done this?

    Here's my thinking...switch from lilo to grub on the knoppix, then I can follow this tutorial: http://www.pcquest.com/content/searc...sp?artid=58131

    All pointers appreciated!

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900
    Go ahead and install rhe (oooh can't beleive I said that ) and put GRUB in the MBR. GRUB is smart and will find your Knoppix install. You can always run update-grub too.

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by mzilikazi
    Go ahead and install rhe (oooh can't beleive I said that :) ) and put GRUB in the MBR. GRUB is smart and will find your Knoppix install. You can always run update-grub too.
    Yes indeedy, grub sees knoppix. Cool so far. But when I select knoppix I get the following

    Code:
    Booting 'knoppix'
    
    rootnoverify (hd0,0)
    chainloader +1
    
    Error 12: Invalid or unsupported executable format
    So currently no knoppix.

    It's a 40 gig drive; partitions like so:

    hda1-6

    1 100m /boot (knoppix)
    2 19g / (knoppix)
    3 500m swap
    4 extended
    5 100m /boot (rhe)
    6 19g /

    Now I'm thinking it was a mistake to separate out the /boot for each since I'm using grub in the MBR, but, honestly, I'm in the deep-end, competence wise, and if there's a good faq or howto I should be looking at I won't be offended. Googling for info on two versions of linux isn't tremendously fruitful...all the dual-boot docs are about win/lin.

    I wouldn't be mucking about with rh at all if that weren't the target for testing...

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900
    Boot into rhe and use update-grub.

    OR

    I don't use the chainloader but rather specify which partition and kernel I want to boot in /boot/grub/menu.lst like so:

    Code:
    title             Debian
    root            (hd0,1)
    kernel        /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.8.1 root=/dev/hda2 ro 
    savedefault
    boot
    HTH

Similar Threads

  1. trying to dual boot my xp and knoppix, but...
    By simmons71 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-20-2005, 07:21 PM
  2. Knoppix/Win2K Dual Boot using boot.ini
    By doesnotcompute in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-01-2005, 07:29 PM
  3. Dual boot Knoppix and WindowsXP on 2 HDs
    By Kepaletswet in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-19-2004, 01:03 PM
  4. Can't get Knoppix to dual-boot with Win98
    By plzdontspamme in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-15-2004, 05:26 AM
  5. Dual Boot Knoppix and Windows(Dual Boot)?
    By jimbo62 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-09-2004, 04:22 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p

$499.88



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb

$374.99



Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD

$378.93



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD

$149.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell PowerEdge R730 8 Bay Server 64Gb 1x80Gb SSD 3x900Gb SAS 2x12c v4CPU Proxmox picture

Dell PowerEdge R730 8 Bay Server 64Gb 1x80Gb SSD 3x900Gb SAS 2x12c v4CPU Proxmox

$620.00



Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700 picture

Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700

$289.99



Dell Poweredge R620 10x 2.5

Dell Poweredge R620 10x 2.5" bay with 256GB (16x16gb) DDR3, 2x E5-2690v2, H710

$349.99



Dell Poweredge C4130 2x LGA2011-3 1U 4x GPU Rackmount Server CTO (NO CPU/NO RAM) picture

Dell Poweredge C4130 2x LGA2011-3 1U 4x GPU Rackmount Server CTO (NO CPU/NO RAM)

$299.95