-
Harddisk Analyzing with Knoppix 3.4 - How to ????
Hi ppl.
I need help for this ...
I have made an image of a harddisk using Ghost. Then i have written back this image on another harddisk.
Now i need to know if the data of the two HDs match.
Is there a command or a tool coming with 'Knoppix 3.4' that can show me the exact written bytes on both HDs?
Thanks for your response!
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: Harddisk Analyzing with Knoppix 3.4 - How to ????

Originally Posted by
xdream
Hi ppl.
I need help for this ...
I have made an image of a harddisk using Ghost. Then i have written back this image on another harddisk.
Now i need to know if the data of the two HDs match.
Is there a command or a tool coming with 'Knoppix 3.4' that can show me the exact written bytes on both HDs?
Thanks for your response!
Try md5sum (name of ghost image)
then cat /dev/hda | md5sum
and check the sums.
Not sure that will work though, ghost probably encodes the file instead of doing a RAW read.
-
Try md5sum (name of ghost image)
then cat /dev/hda | md5sum
and check the sums.
Not sure that will work though, ghost probably encodes the file instead of doing a RAW read.
Think this will not work because the ghostimage is compressed. And it isn't a RAW read as you said. Thx anyway - i will give this a try though.
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
xdream
Try md5sum (name of ghost image)
then cat /dev/hda | md5sum
and check the sums.
Not sure that will work though, ghost probably encodes the file instead of doing a RAW read.
Think this will not work because the ghostimage is compressed. And it isn't a RAW read as you said. Thx anyway - i will give this a try though.
I just reread your post.
Ignore the ghost image part, just do the cat /dev/hda | md5sum thing on both hardrives.
replacing the a (in hda) for each drive needed. Of course if you only made an image of a partition instead of a hardrive, you'll need to put the partitin number there also (ex: hda1)
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
firebyrd10

Originally Posted by
xdream
Try md5sum (name of ghost image)
then cat /dev/hda | md5sum
and check the sums.
Not sure that will work though, ghost probably encodes the file instead of doing a RAW read.
Think this will not work because the ghostimage is compressed. And it isn't a RAW read as you said. Thx anyway - i will give this a try though.
I just reread your post.
Ignore the ghost image part, just do the cat /dev/hda | md5sum thing on both hardrives.
replacing the a (in hda) for each drive needed. Of course if you only made an image of a partition instead of a hardrive, you'll need to put the partitin number there also (ex: hda1)
PERFECT!
I think thats the trick, I used to do this for a "quick and dirty" file compare routine - back in my Windows Days - use a CRC on both source and target, if they match, chances are, the data actually matches... From what I know ( not much on this ) the md5sum does the same thing. I would bet that if your md5sum outputs match, then your drives data match as well.
Just my two cents,
Ms. Cuddles
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
Cuddles
PERFECT!
I think thats the trick, I used to do this for a "quick and dirty" file compare routine - back in my Windows Days - use a CRC on both source and target, if they match, chances are, the data actually matches... From what I know ( not much on this ) the md5sum does the same thing. I would bet that if your md5sum outputs match, then your drives data match as well.
Just my two cents,
Ms. Cuddles
Right, CRC and md5sum do the same thing. But md5sum is much more precise. If just one bit is off the output will be differnt. CRC on the other hand checks the data in a general way. It's used for thing like, if something does wrong with the data, alot will go wrong, such as sending it over dial up or wireless where if something happens, alot of the data will be currupted.
-
THX
Think this will work. I will try it.
THX a lot mate!
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: THX

Originally Posted by
xdream
Think this will work. I will try it.
THX a lot mate!
Your welcome.
Similar Threads
-
By ku637 in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 07-15-2005, 07:51 PM
-
By Dobez in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 03-18-2005, 02:41 PM
-
By Pix21 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 0
Last Post: 02-12-2005, 03:15 PM
-
By metavoid in forum General Support
Replies: 9
Last Post: 07-03-2004, 10:08 AM
-
By Panada in forum General Support
Replies: 9
Last Post: 04-12-2004, 02:08 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2
$81.99

LOT OF 8 Samsung 32gb 2Rx8 PC4-3200AA RE3 12 DC1 Server Memory M393A4G43AB3
$1849.95

SAMSUNG FIT PLUS 128GB USB 3.1 Flash Drive - fully working & authentic
$24.95

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$60.00

Samsung PM961 512GB PCIe Gen 3x4 NVMe 2280 M.2 SSD MZVLW512HMJP-000D1
$60.00

RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4
$93.99

RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro
$81.99

Samsung 8GB DDR5 5600MHz SODIMM Laptop RAM PC5-44800 CL46 M425R1GB4BB0-CWM
$99.99

WiFi Only Samsung Galaxy Tab A9 Plus 11.0" 128GB Black SM-X210
$139.99

Samsung 870 EVO 4TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-77E4T0B/AM)
$310.00