-
Renaming network interfaces
Hi,
I am using an HD install of knoppix 3.4 and am having some trouble getting the network interfaces to behave.
The machine in question is a laptop with a built in ethernet and sometimes a pcmcia wireless ethernet card. The kernel sometimes names the built in ethernet eth0 and the wireless eth1, sometimes the reverse, depending on whether the pcmcia card is inserted at boot time or is put in later. Both interfaces work fine, but the naming is inconsistent.
This is problematic for varous reasons. First, the built in ethernet (often) uses a static IP address which is set up in /etc/network/interfaces. This doesn't work when the built in ethernet has an interface name different that expected.
I am also using the laptop-net package to manage the built-in ethernet. This only works (as far as I can tell) when you know the interface name.
Some research showed that the use of the nameif utility seemed be called for. This program renames network interfaces based on mac addresses, just what I need, but I haven't been able to get it working. I set up a correct /etc/mactab file and inserted '/sbin/nameif -s' in /etc/init.d/networking; I also inserted the command in /etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig to run prior to the starting of the cardmgr. None of this seems to work, however. As far as I can tell nameif is either not running or is ignored; the kernel insistes on naming the interface as it wants.
Can anyone help me get my network interfaces consistently named?
Similar Threads
-
By taloner in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 9
Last Post: 06-19-2005, 10:21 AM
-
By Mustang64 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 12
Last Post: 04-25-2005, 10:21 PM
-
By DunkyB in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 0
Last Post: 04-15-2005, 03:17 PM
-
By linux_Fred in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 04-12-2005, 05:15 PM
-
By probono in forum Ideas
Replies: 2
Last Post: 04-27-2003, 05:54 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Yealink T48S VoIP/SIP Phone, 2 x Gigabit Ports PoE 7" Color SIP-T48S | TESTED
$34.95

Poly CCX 400 Desktop Business Media Phone VoIP 2200-49700-019
$49.99

Grandstream VoIP Phone Adapter ATA 1-Line Black Ethernet (RJ-45) Micro USB
$27.07

Cisco CP-8841 IP Phone Charcoal Handset And Stand Included
$27.99

Yealink SIP-T33G IP Phone 4-LineSpeakerphone VoIP Desk Phone Black w/ Power Sply
$25.00

Grandstream WP810 Portable Cordless Wi-Fi IP Phone
$49.28

Yealink T53W Black IP Phone Verizon VoIP LOT OF 4 Business Desk Phone
$150.00

Yealink MP56 VoIP Phone 16-Line Bluetooth Wideband Audio Black/Gray
$90.00

SIM Bank 32 SIM Card Slots Ethernet SIM Server for GoIP
$400.00

Cisco CP-8841 IP Phone - Charcoal
$98.95