Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: apt-get / dpkg error: unable to access dpkg status area

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Orlando FL
    Posts
    2

    apt-get / dpkg error: unable to access dpkg status area

    Anytime I try to install anyting with apt-get or dpkg I get the following:

    dpkg: unable to access dpkg status area: Read-only file system
    W: Not using locking for read only lock file /var/lib/dpkg/lock
    W: You may want to run apt-get update to correct these problems
    E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (2)

    From what I'm reading I should do a HD install to use apt-get, but the thing I love about Knoppix is its portability between computers, I can go to anyones computer, shove in a CD, stick my 512mb USB key in the USB port and boom, I have all my stuff.

    Is there a cheat/trick I can do to make dpkg install to my USB key so I can install packages without having to do a HD install?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    111
    that should be possible

    check out
    http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.ph...lSoftwareHowTo

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900

    Re: apt-get / dpkg error: unable to access dpkg status area

    Quote Originally Posted by Nitromethane1261

    Is there a cheat/trick I can do to make dpkg install to my USB key so I can install packages without having to do a HD install?
    No.

    You can use klik and install whatever apps are available through klik. In time klik *may* support any pkg in Debian but it does not at this moment.

Similar Threads

  1. E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
    By OP4Latino in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-19-2005, 05:00 AM
  2. apt-get / dpkg error
    By he_wolf in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-16-2004, 04:36 PM
  3. how to get apt and dpkg seeing the same things?
    By arkaine23 in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-08-2004, 11:37 PM
  4. qt-x11-free dpkg apt-get
    By jackren in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-14-2004, 08:37 PM
  5. dpkg Confused
    By none1 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-07-2004, 12:55 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99



Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New picture

Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New

$101.99



Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module picture

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module

$699.99



CISCO INDUSTRIAL SWITCH IE-3100-8T2C-E New  picture

CISCO INDUSTRIAL SWITCH IE-3100-8T2C-E New

$1049.00



Cisco Catalyst WS-C2960X-48FPD-L 48-Port Gigabit Managed PoE+ Ethernet Switch picture

Cisco Catalyst WS-C2960X-48FPD-L 48-Port Gigabit Managed PoE+ Ethernet Switch

$69.99



CISCO Services Router C891F-K9, Grade B,  SKU 16188 picture

CISCO Services Router C891F-K9, Grade B, SKU 16188

$24.94



Cisco | N3K-C3232C | 32-Port 100G QSFP Network Switch  W/ 2x PSU, 2x Power Cords picture

Cisco | N3K-C3232C | 32-Port 100G QSFP Network Switch W/ 2x PSU, 2x Power Cords

$205.00



Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver picture

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver

$5.40



Cisco Catalyst WS-C2960+24TC-S 24-Port Gigabit Managed SFP Switch picture

Cisco Catalyst WS-C2960+24TC-S 24-Port Gigabit Managed SFP Switch

$39.99



Cisco Catalyst C9120AXI-B Wi-Fi 6 Access Points picture

Cisco Catalyst C9120AXI-B Wi-Fi 6 Access Points

$36.00