Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: PCI ilo PCMCIA NIC - WLAN Dell Latitude

  1. #1

    PCI ilo PCMCIA NIC - WLAN Dell Latitude

    Hi.

    I've got a Dell Latitude (with built-in 3Com NIC), a PheeNet WLAN card (uses Realtek 8180l) and use the latest Knoppix (3.6).

    I can't get the card to work - don't know if it's a driver missing or if there's anything else wrong.

    Here's what I do and what results I get:


    lspci|less - Ethernet controller: Realtel Seminconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8180L 802.11b MAC (rev 20) ... looks like it does recognise the WLAN card)


    dmesg|less: just the 3Com NC (built-in) ... or maybe it doesn't?

    Knoppix Infocenter:
    PCMCIA - Card 1: CardBus hotplug device
    PCI - lists 3COM NIC and Realtek RTL8180L with comment: "Capabilities: <available only to root>"
    ... why does it identify the WLAN NIC as PCI card???

    Knoppix Network/Internet -> Wavelan configuration shows: "No wireless network card found"

    I would appreciate if any answers are explicit enough for me to follow - I am all new to Linux.

    Thanks!

    Ulrich

  2. #2

    more info

    All,

    got some more info - when I open etc/sysconfig/netcard here's what is says:

    FULLNAME="Realtec|unknown device 10ec:8180"
    DRIVER="unknown"

    To me, this looks like there's no driver loaded. I played a little bit with ndiswrapper, got the net8180 driver on the system but when I changed "unknown" into "net8180" and tried to save this, it wouldn't let me do it...

    Any help available?

    Ulrich

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    12

    Re: more info

    Hi
    I have a TCM/medion laptop with broadcom chip wireless lan. It works perfect with ndiswrapper.
    Read carefully the documentation of ndiswrapper. And visit the official site to see if the chipset of your wireless lan is supported by ndiswrapper. If not - don't try it anymore.
    If it is supported - read 'man ndiswrapper'.
    When you type:

    ndiswrapper -l

    you have to see the driver installed. If so you won't have problems configuring the net.
    Also read man pages of iwconfig.
    And try:

    iwconfig wlan0 mode Ad-Hoc channel 11 essid 1
    ifconfig wlan0 your_ip_here netmask your_netmask_here

    And try running only:
    iwconfig
    and
    ifconfig

    to see the output.

    iwconfig will give you information of your wireless settings - essid, MAC address, frequecy, channel and so on...


    I wish you luck




    Quote Originally Posted by anotherulrich
    All,

    got some more info - when I open etc/sysconfig/netcard here's what is says:

    FULLNAME="Realtec|unknown devicery 10ec:8180"
    DRIVER="unknown"

    To me, this looks like there's no driver loaded. I played a little bit with ndiswrapper, got the net8180 driver on the system but when I changed "unknown" into "net8180" and tried to save this, it wouldn't let me do it...

    Any help available?

    Ulrich

Similar Threads

  1. Knoppix 3.9 on Dell Latitude D505 ???
    By andre104 in forum Laptops
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-29-2005, 08:03 PM
  2. knoppix 3.7 on dell latitude CPi D266
    By konik in forum Laptops
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-29-2005, 12:23 AM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-30-2005, 03:11 AM
  4. Dell Latitude CPi , but no sound
    By Reverend in forum Laptops
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-18-2004, 07:27 AM
  5. Dell Latitude screen scramble!
    By Phredd in forum General Support
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 10-10-2003, 02:03 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb

$374.99



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD

$149.99



Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD

$99.99



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$248.00



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$524.99



Dell Poweredge T420 SFF 2x E5-2430 v2 2.5Ghz / 64gb / H710 / 8x Trays / 2x 495w picture

Dell Poweredge T420 SFF 2x E5-2430 v2 2.5Ghz / 64gb / H710 / 8x Trays / 2x 495w

$394.99



Dell PowerEdge R730 Server 2x Xeon E5-2630 V4 64GB DDR4 2TB HDD Rackmount picture

Dell PowerEdge R730 Server 2x Xeon E5-2630 V4 64GB DDR4 2TB HDD Rackmount

$489.99



Dell PowerEdge FC430 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2630v4 20 Cores FX2 FX2s No RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge FC430 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2630v4 20 Cores FX2 FX2s No RAM/HDD

$119.99