Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Some questions and problems

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1

    Some questions and problems

    Hello everyone,
    I have tried to do a dual install with Knoppix and XP but after several tries, it didn't work. I want to create a home directory to put linux files and the such, and there is a program on the cd that will allow me to, however it is not working. It gives me an error. What could be wrong? Also, the dial-up program can't find my modem. How do I fix this? And finally, Knoppix does not recognize my mobile adapter for ethernet card...how can I remedy this?

    I would appreciate an email for an answer: nogodsnomasters at hotmail.com

    Thank you very much

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    949
    If the drive you want to put the home directory on is NTFS then your out of luck, linux doesn't really support writing to NTFS drives.

    Also chances are the modem is a winmodem which uses software to do hardware functions. Thats all fine and dandy because it helps make it cheaper. But the drivers don't work on linux.

    The last thing you can probably fix but I don't know how.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900

    Re: Some questions and problems

    Quote Originally Posted by anthro
    Hello everyone,
    I have tried to do a dual install with Knoppix and XP but after several tries, it didn't work. I want to create a home directory to put linux files and the such, and there is a program on the cd that will allow me to, however it is not working. It gives me an error. What could be wrong?
    You can't save your persistent home to NTFS but you could save it to a USB drive or floppy.

    Also, the dial-up program can't find my modem. How do I fix this? And finally, Knoppix does not recognize my mobile adapter for ethernet card...how can I remedy this?
    What modem? What mobile adapter? How can someone help if you don't even tell us what hardware you have?

    I would appreciate an email for an answer: nogodsnomasters at hotmail.com
    Others may email you I dunno ( I won't) but that defeats the purpose of a forum. The forum is to collect answers to questions so that they are available to anyone who might try the SEARCH function (*hint hint*).

Similar Threads

  1. Newbie: Little laptop, no CD, huge problems and questions
    By Little Toshi in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-22-2004, 11:18 PM
  2. Some questions before I do it
    By Jez in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 07-11-2004, 12:57 PM
  3. 2 Questions !!!
    By paf in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-19-2003, 11:22 AM
  4. Apt questions
    By Henk Poley in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-11-2003, 01:27 PM
  5. 2 questions...
    By pap2003 in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-03-2003, 01:41 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray picture

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray

$174.99



AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 8700GE 8-Core/16-Thread Up to 5.1GHz AM5 (FL1) picture

AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 8700GE 8-Core/16-Thread Up to 5.1GHz AM5 (FL1)

$175.00



OPNsense Firewall 8-Core Atom C3758 4GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN picture

OPNsense Firewall 8-Core Atom C3758 4GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN

$95.00



Dell Optiplex 7070 SFF i7-9700 8-Core 3.0GHz 16B Ram NO HDD NO OS picture

Dell Optiplex 7070 SFF i7-9700 8-Core 3.0GHz 16B Ram NO HDD NO OS

$199.99



Lenovo ThinkCentre M720Q Core i5-8500T 2.10GHz 8GB 128GB SDD W11 Mini PC (Z3675) picture

Lenovo ThinkCentre M720Q Core i5-8500T 2.10GHz 8GB 128GB SDD W11 Mini PC (Z3675)

$125.96



Dell Optiplex 7070 8-Core i7-9700 3.0ghz 8GB DVDRW NO SSD Tower PC Computer picture

Dell Optiplex 7070 8-Core i7-9700 3.0ghz 8GB DVDRW NO SSD Tower PC Computer

$169.99



AMD Ryzen 7 9850X3D 8-Core 16-Thread 5.6GHz 120W AM5 CPU 100-100001973WOF picture

AMD Ryzen 7 9850X3D 8-Core 16-Thread 5.6GHz 120W AM5 CPU 100-100001973WOF

$435.99



AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core 16-Thread AM5 Zen 5 Desktop Processor NEW picture

AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core 16-Thread AM5 Zen 5 Desktop Processor NEW

$399.00



Clear Touch Interactive Module CTI PCMOD PC55 ST i5 6core,8GB DDR4,256GB SSD NEW picture

Clear Touch Interactive Module CTI PCMOD PC55 ST i5 6core,8GB DDR4,256GB SSD NEW

$225.00



Apple Mac Pro (A1186,

Apple Mac Pro (A1186, "8Core" 2007)Xeon X5365-4GB Ram 1TB HDD OS XLeopard NVIDIA

$274.99