Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Basic launch annoyance with a Poormans

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    5

    Basic launch annoyance with a Poormans

    Newbie Alert!

    Hi guys,

    I have been checking out Linux on a fairly regular basis over the years and it has never really gotten a grip of me,... until now!

    The whole concept of these Live CD's is brilliant. I downloaded 5 or 6 of them over the last week or so and had great fun messing around with them. I particularly like the "Poormans" install method, almost full functionality without having to mess up your hdd, cool.

    Anyhow after a little trial and error I have the Linuxtag 3.5 DVD running as a poormans using grub called from winXPs boot loader and very nice it is too. Shame they forgot to put Gimp in there,.. DOH!

    Now for my newbie question and apologies in advance as I'm sure the answer must be somewhere on the site but I've not been able to find it in a couple of days trying. My poormans is working great, saving config changes, klik installed apps all ok - the trouble is that on boot up it keeps trying to load the KNOPPIX welcome html file and says that it can't find it. This holds up the launch of all my open programs from last session. When I click on the error message the KNOPPIX welcome html launches TWICE and all my other programs come up behind it. Not a fatal error but bloody annoying all the same, so guys, how do I stop the KNOPPIX welcome file being called at launch?


    Cheers,
    Arcflup.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981
    The file it is trying to load is called index_en.html. You can copy it off the CD to your 'knoppix' file where the poorman's is located so that the poormans can find it. You could also replace it with whatever greeting you wanted as long as you called it index_en.html.
    I don't think you can prevent it from looking for this startup file because of the read-only file system.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    692
    Someone has reported to me that if you delete ~/.kde/Autostart/showindex.desktop from your persistent home, it will keep Konqueror from loading the very file you're apparently missing. I just did it myself, but haven't yet verified that it worked.

    jd

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    949
    Quote Originally Posted by j.drake
    Someone has reported to me that if you delete ~/.kde/Autostart/showindex.desktop from your persistent home, it will keep Konqueror from loading the very file you're apparently missing. I just did it myself, but haven't yet verified that it worked.

    jd
    I've tried that will live-cd and it didn't work, the file just came back. Chances are it won't work with poorman ether.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    5
    Thanks for the suggestion guys but alas it doesn't seem to work.

    I've "upgraded" to a poormans running knoppix 3.7 which has cured the missing file error but I still get the index_en file starting up. I also now have Kmix opening at every boot too

    Never mind I can live with it.

    As an aside, and don't forget I'm a newbie, would it not be possible to implement something that makes the KNOPPIX system image file dynamic and writable under a poormans install? Or am I paddling in the shallows on insanity beach here?

    Just a thought,

    Cheers,
    Arcflup.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    692
    Try booting without the "fromhd" cheatcode (liveCD, IOW), make the partition writable, and do as you wish. Then reboot with the "fromhd" cheatcode.

    jd

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    5
    Nope, can't seem to get it to work. Never mind I'll put up with it.

    I would have done a proper dual boot hdd install but my laptop - Compaq Presario 700 - won't play ball. The Knoppix installer complains that the hdd parameters are wrong and advises to check the bios. Stupid idiot-proof bios has next to no functionality, including reporting what your hdd is!

    The only time I ignored the warnings and installed anyway it screwed up one of my ntfs partitions, fortunately not my boot partition, so I am reluctant to have at it again.

    I'm sitting here with one eye on eBay watching Dell Latitude PIII 750/850's selling for £300...ish. I'll probably grab one just to run Linux on and have done with the poormans altogether.

    Cheers,
    David.

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    949
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcflup
    Nope, can't seem to get it to work. Never mind I'll put up with it.

    I would have done a proper dual boot hdd install but my laptop - Compaq Presario 700 - won't play ball. The Knoppix installer complains that the hdd parameters are wrong and advises to check the bios. Stupid idiot-proof bios has next to no functionality, including reporting what your hdd is!

    The only time I ignored the warnings and installed anyway it screwed up one of my ntfs partitions, fortunately not my boot partition, so I am reluctant to have at it again.

    I'm sitting here with one eye on eBay watching Dell Latitude PIII 750/850's selling for £300...ish. I'll probably grab one just to run Linux on and have done with the poormans altogether.

    Cheers,
    David.
    GRUB might be usefull then, it doesn't rely on the hardrive parameters as much.

Similar Threads

  1. Mozilla won't launch
    By Unne in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-11-2005, 03:27 AM
  2. Knoppix annoyance on Dell Laptop
    By katana5 in forum Laptops
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-18-2005, 04:25 PM
  3. Faster Poormans Install
    By shaun in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-23-2004, 12:01 PM
  4. kdeinit could not launch...
    By CrashedAgain in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-26-2004, 06:21 AM
  5. persistent home icons annoyance
    By Joseph Schiller in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-29-2003, 08:03 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡ picture

🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡

$109.99



Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P picture

Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P

$149.99



JUNIPER NETWORKS MIST AI AP63-US HIGH PERFORMANCE OUTDOOR ACCESS POINT - WHITE picture

JUNIPER NETWORKS MIST AI AP63-US HIGH PERFORMANCE OUTDOOR ACCESS POINT - WHITE

$59.99



Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port PoE Gigabit Switch (Renewed) picture

Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port PoE Gigabit Switch (Renewed)

$361.91



Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port Gigabit PoE Managed Ethernet Switch picture

Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port Gigabit PoE Managed Ethernet Switch

$79.99



Juniper AP47 Mist Wi-Fi 7 802.11 6GHz 4x4 Wireless Access Point (NEW) picture

Juniper AP47 Mist Wi-Fi 7 802.11 6GHz 4x4 Wireless Access Point (NEW)

$999.99



Juniper EX4300-48T-AFO 48-Port 10/100/1000Base-T Switch+ Dual PSU w/EX-UM-4X4SFP picture

Juniper EX4300-48T-AFO 48-Port 10/100/1000Base-T Switch+ Dual PSU w/EX-UM-4X4SFP

$49.99



Juniper Networks MX204-HW-BASE *BRAND NEW FACTORY SEALED* READ DETAILS picture

Juniper Networks MX204-HW-BASE *BRAND NEW FACTORY SEALED* READ DETAILS

$8199.99



Juniper EX4300-48T-AFI 48x 1GB RJ-45 4x 40GB QSFP+ Switch w/ Rails- Fast Ship picture

Juniper EX4300-48T-AFI 48x 1GB RJ-45 4x 40GB QSFP+ Switch w/ Rails- Fast Ship

$319.99



Juniper EX2300 Unclaimed 12-Port Gigabit Switch EX2300-C-12T picture

Juniper EX2300 Unclaimed 12-Port Gigabit Switch EX2300-C-12T

$249.99