-
Administrator
Site Admin-

Originally Posted by
probono
....After using the above command for creating the ISO, I used k3b to burn it.
Sorrry, but I've followed a lot of threads and links but I'm having trouble figuring out just what the above command for creating the ISO is. Please say, just what command do you need to issue to make a new iso, and where do you have to be when you issue it?
-
Re: How to make a knoppix DVD UNCOMPRESSED

Originally Posted by
Harry Kuhman

Originally Posted by
ISoar
I've done this. To the nay sayers, it works fine.
You didn't say if it's faster or (as suspected) slower. Give us real numbers please, including:
I've not run any benchmarks against the official CD-ROM. My intent was not performance, but rather ease of customization (much easier to add stuff to the root if it is an uncompressed ISO on a DVD). I was not claiming it to be faster, just possible.
FWIW, I've started a web page HOWTO. It's incomplete (needs more info on busybox), but is mostly there. Not really that difficult to do.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Harry;
The above command refers to a previous post which has the data you refer to..
-
Re: How to make a knoppix DVD UNCOMPRESSED

Originally Posted by
Harry Kuhman

Originally Posted by
ISoar
I've done this. To the nay sayers, it works fine.
You didn't say if it's faster or (as suspected) slower. Give us real numbers please, including:
How long it takes to boot your Knopix CD.
How long it takes to boot your Knoppix DVD (on the same drive).
You CPU type and speed, memory, optical drive make and model.
What speed each the CD and DVD were burnt at (I ask this because a Knoppix CD burnt fast will often take much longer to boot than one burnt slow, due to a high number of retries required during boot).
In addition to booting speeds, you might benchmark the starting of some applications from the optical media, such as GIMP, and tell us how long each takes from first click until ready to run.
Okay, I went and burned the official CD-ROM ISO on the same DVD+RW disc. The speed results are not surprising: twice as fast booting when compressed. I've not tried your other tests; I'll leave that as an exercise fo the reader 
My goal wasn't speed though.
-
Senior Member
registered user
I've scanned throgh so I don't know if its been explained or not, but did all you do is use a uncompressed image file?
-
Why doesn't anyone make a DVD version using UDF 2.01?
Why are all Knoppix distros ISO9660? Isn't UDF better? There is no 2GB file size limit in UDF 2.01 (or ealier versions for that matter). If most systems can't boot off of UDF, then you can make a hybrid like DVD video discs, but unlike a DVD video disc, instead of the ISO and the UDF file systems containing references to the same files, the ISO would only reference the files necesary for booting and the rest of the files plus all the files referenced in the ISO system would be referenced in the UDF file system.
-

Originally Posted by
firebyrd10
I've scanned throgh so I don't know if its been explained or not, but did all you do is use a uncompressed image file?
Mostly. It also requires a "mount" that understands loop devices to mount the uncompressed image, and a linuxrc to do same. Check my HOWTO for specifics.
-
Re: Why doesn't anyone make a DVD version using UDF 2.01?

Originally Posted by
losmurfs
Why are all Knoppix distros ISO9660? Isn't UDF better? There is no 2GB file size limit in UDF 2.01 (or ealier versions for that matter). If most systems can't boot off of UDF, then you can make a hybrid like DVD video discs, but unlike a DVD video disc, instead of the ISO and the UDF file systems containing references to the same files, the ISO would only reference the files necesary for booting and the rest of the files plus all the files referenced in the ISO system would be referenced in the UDF file system.
UDF is really specifically for DVDs, and it has a <1 GB limit. From UDF v2.00 Draft page 7:
"Extent Length: Maximum Extent Length shall be 2^30 - Logical Block Size."
and from page 104:
"The data of each file shall be recorded as a single extent. Each File Entry shall be recorded using the ICB Strategy Type 4."
UDF is a specific implementation of ISO/IEC 13346 (I think ECMA 167 may be equivalent) by the OSTA. Basically, the standard doesn't have enough details for implementation, so one must fill in the blanks according to the spec, which is what the OSTA did to in their own way to get UDF.
I gave up on UDF when I ran head first into CSS years back when I started the (now defunct?) linux-udf project. Thankfully that whole mess has been resolved by others (in the courts). So feel free to correct me if my info is dated.
-
Re: Why doesn't anyone make a DVD version using UDF 2.01?

Originally Posted by
losmurfs
Why are all Knoppix distros ISO9660? Isn't UDF better? There is no 2GB file size limit in UDF 2.01 (or ealier versions for that matter). If most systems can't boot off of UDF, then you can make a hybrid like DVD video discs, but unlike a DVD video disc, instead of the ISO and the UDF file systems containing references to the same files, the ISO would only reference the files necesary for booting and the rest of the files plus all the files referenced in the ISO system would be referenced in the UDF file system.
UDF is really specifically for DVDs, and it has a <1 GB limit. From UDF v2.00 Draft page 7:
"Extent Length: Maximum Extent Length shall be 2^30 - Logical Block Size."
and from page 104:
"The data of each file shall be recorded as a single extent. Each File Entry shall be recorded using the ICB Strategy Type 4."
UDF is a specific implementation of ISO/IEC 13346 (I think ECMA 167 may be equivalent) by the OSTA. Basically, the standard doesn't have enough details for implementation, so one must fill in the blanks appropriately, which is what the OSTA did in their own way to get UDF.
I gave up on UDF when I ran head first into CSS years back when I started the (now defunct?) linux-udf project. Thankfully that whole mess has been resolved by others (in the courts). So feel free to correct me if my info is dated.
Similar Threads
-
By Sago7 in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 2
Last Post: 06-18-2004, 11:55 PM
-
By Levi37 in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 0
Last Post: 05-25-2004, 01:16 PM
-
By hoshy in forum General Support
Replies: 5
Last Post: 08-06-2003, 09:17 PM
-
By brainlessdumb in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 05-09-2003, 10:19 AM
-
By probono in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 7
Last Post: 04-11-2003, 05:51 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC
$175.00

Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026
$12.99

RED HAT ENTERPRISE LINUX 5 SERVER RHF0382US-R1 for PC x86 AMD 64 INTEL 64 30 Day
$188.24

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN
$115.00

Novell SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 9, Linux Professional 8.2 / 9.1 — 3 DVD Set
$58.00

ZimaBoard 2 1664 Home Server 16GB
$350.00

Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU
$649.00

All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive
$15.95

SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA
$284.99

Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Enterprise 40 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License FPP
$299.00