Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: can't delete file off of the HD

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    3

    can't delete file off of the HD

    I am trying to delete a file off of my ntfs hd using knoppix off off of cd. But I continually get the error: "Could not delete file /mnt/hda2/WINDOWS/system32/ZoneLabs/vetredir.dll." (that is the correct file I am trying to delete. This happens with any file ntfs or fat32. I can't delete this file in windows either because it says that it is in use.... Can anyone help me?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    949

    Re: can't delete file off of the HD

    Quote Originally Posted by david0mp
    I am trying to delete a file off of my ntfs hd using knoppix off off of cd. But I continually get the error: "Could not delete file /mnt/hda2/WINDOWS/system32/ZoneLabs/vetredir.dll." (that is the correct file I am trying to delete. This happens with any file ntfs or fat32. I can't delete this file in windows either because it says that it is in use.... Can anyone help me?
    Knoppix by defualt sets all drives to read only. Just right click the hardrive -> actions -> change read/write mode to fix it.

    Only problem is linux can't really write to ntfs. You could try the captive NTFS

    KNOPPIX menu -> servies(not sure, you may have to look around) -> captive NTFS

    Though I've been having problems with it.
    You can write to FAT32 just fine however.


    BTW, have you trued safe mode command prompt only? (you need to know some basic commands. cd and del)

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    3
    Sadly, I grew up on pre-dos computers and dos computers (and I'm only 18, shesh) but I do know many dos commands. I tried everything I knew how to do in windows but with no luck. I think it is deeply embedded in windows, which is why I am using knoppix.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    949
    Have you heard of bartPE?

    Its a live cd version of windows.
    Because of which it can write to NTFS.

    I use it for defragging because windows isn't running so I can defrag everything.

    You'll need some files from your windows cd though.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    3
    interesting...

    Where can I get it from?

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    692

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    949
    Quote Originally Posted by j.drake
    http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

    jd
    Doh, I was editing my post to include the address and closed the window before hitting send. Thinking that I had.

Similar Threads

  1. Delete
    By w5uc in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-03-2005, 11:14 PM
  2. Try to delete File (virus/trojan) from NTFS HDD
    By rumburak in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-16-2005, 01:37 AM
  3. delete
    By zenok in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-25-2004, 08:58 PM
  4. Please Delete
    By goudiemark in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-16-2004, 06:34 PM
  5. Message comes up that I cannot delete file
    By anton26 in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-08-2004, 06:10 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Apple Mac Pro 2019 1TB OEM SSD Kit-768GB +384GB - 656-0119/ 656-0120 picture

Apple Mac Pro 2019 1TB OEM SSD Kit-768GB +384GB - 656-0119/ 656-0120

$69.99



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$60.00



External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac picture

External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac

$19.99



Dell Latitude 15.6” FHD Core i5 Laptop PC Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 picture

Dell Latitude 15.6” FHD Core i5 Laptop PC Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11

$352.73



Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16

Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb

$1746.47



1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive picture

1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive

$86.95



SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM picture

SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM

$159.99



Netac 2TB 1TB 500GB Internal SSD M.2 NVMe PCIe3.0 Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 500GB Internal SSD M.2 NVMe PCIe3.0 Solid State Drive lot

$129.99



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$545.25



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i7 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$330.73