I believe that knoppix doesn't have the ability to view encrpyted dvds as it doesn't have a way to decrpyt them.
I recently switched from windows to linux. Once I figured out how to use apt-get everything went pretty easy, but it's been three weeks now and I can't get dvd's to play. I"m using cluster knoppix and I've tried some other versions but nothing seems to work. I've also tried to use the following programs, xine, ogle, kogle, kaffeine, etc. I keep getting and error in the console about not supporting encrypted DVD's. I will greatly appreciate any help I get, but please keep in mind that I know very little about linux so far.
I believe that knoppix doesn't have the ability to view encrpyted dvds as it doesn't have a way to decrpyt them.
So are there any solutions in the works and if not Is this a problem in just knoppix, debian, or all distro's?
I believe you will find that the technology to decrypt the info on a DVD is not distributable within Germany and a few other countries, so distro's coming from here (KNOPPIX.SUSE) lack this much needed feature.
See here:-
http://hpisi.nerim.net/
i know you have tried xine, ogle, kogle, kaffeine... but have you tried XMMS? I wouldn't know if that worked though.
You need the libdvdcss2 package to play encrypted DVD's. Search the forum to see where to get it from. It's not in the regular debian mirrors, so you'll need to alter your /etc/sources.list. Either that, or just grab the .deb, and install it with "dpkg -i libdvdcss2*.deb"
You can find libdvdcss2 by searching the unofficial apt sources at www.apt-get.orgYou need the libdvdcss2 package to play encrypted DVD's. Search the forum to see where to get it from. It's not in the regular debian mirrors, so you'll need to alter your /etc/sources.list. Either that, or just grab the .deb, and install it with "dpkg -i libdvdcss2*.deb"
Here you go(from console):
wget http://download.videolan.org/pub/lib...2.8-1_i386.deb
dpkg -i libdvdcss2_1.2.8-1_i386.deb
This should solve that problem.
Nice job RRFish72![]()

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor
$39.00
INTEL CORE I7-870 SLBJG 2.93GHZ LGA1156 4 CORE CPU PROCESSOR
$23.00
INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH
$179.99
Intel Core i9-9900K SRG19 3.60GHz 16MB 8-Core LGA1151 B Grade CPU Processor
$175.00
AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Processor ( read Description)
$59.00
Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor
$114.99
Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor
$67.99
Intel SR3XE Core i5-8500 3.0GHz 9M Socket 1151 6-Core CPU Processor *Tested*
$32.99
AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 4650GE 100-000000153 6-Core 3.30GHz 8MB AM4 CPU Processor
$59.99
Intel SRF90 Xeon Gold 6248 2.50GHz 20 Core LGA 3647 Server CPU Processor
$55.99