Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Newbie, can't play DVD's

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    5

    Newbie, can't play DVD's

    I recently switched from windows to linux. Once I figured out how to use apt-get everything went pretty easy, but it's been three weeks now and I can't get dvd's to play. I"m using cluster knoppix and I've tried some other versions but nothing seems to work. I've also tried to use the following programs, xine, ogle, kogle, kaffeine, etc. I keep getting and error in the console about not supporting encrypted DVD's. I will greatly appreciate any help I get, but please keep in mind that I know very little about linux so far.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    949
    I believe that knoppix doesn't have the ability to view encrpyted dvds as it doesn't have a way to decrpyt them.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    5

    is it going to work

    So are there any solutions in the works and if not Is this a problem in just knoppix, debian, or all distro's?

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    171
    I believe you will find that the technology to decrypt the info on a DVD is not distributable within Germany and a few other countries, so distro's coming from here (KNOPPIX.SUSE) lack this much needed feature.

    See here:-

    http://hpisi.nerim.net/

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    In a house... hopefully
    Posts
    554
    i know you have tried xine, ogle, kogle, kaffeine... but have you tried XMMS? I wouldn't know if that worked though.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    555
    You need the libdvdcss2 package to play encrypted DVD's. Search the forum to see where to get it from. It's not in the regular debian mirrors, so you'll need to alter your /etc/sources.list. Either that, or just grab the .deb, and install it with "dpkg -i libdvdcss2*.deb"

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    exile
    Posts
    6
    You need the libdvdcss2 package to play encrypted DVD's. Search the forum to see where to get it from. It's not in the regular debian mirrors, so you'll need to alter your /etc/sources.list. Either that, or just grab the .deb, and install it with "dpkg -i libdvdcss2*.deb"
    You can find libdvdcss2 by searching the unofficial apt sources at www.apt-get.org

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    536
    Here you go(from console):
    wget http://download.videolan.org/pub/lib...2.8-1_i386.deb
    dpkg -i libdvdcss2_1.2.8-1_i386.deb

    This should solve that problem.

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,338
    Nice job RRFish72

Similar Threads

  1. 3.6 / 2.6 KsCD won't play
    By fingers99 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-21-2005, 06:06 AM
  2. How do I play a dvd?
    By turbine in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 07-28-2004, 03:59 PM
  3. Cannot Play Audio CDs
    By JockVSJock in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-28-2003, 03:20 PM
  4. Any one play with MORPHIX?
    By xetaprime in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-03-2003, 05:09 AM
  5. Playing DVD's
    By boehmb in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-29-2002, 01:34 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$115.00



Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026 picture

Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026

$12.99



ESET Server Security (File Security) | Variant Item | Download Version picture

ESET Server Security (File Security) | Variant Item | Download Version

$136.15



All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive picture

All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive

$15.95



OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 512GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 512GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$128.00



Toshiba Magnia SG20 VPN Linux server Web server (No HDD, *Read*) - picture

Toshiba Magnia SG20 VPN Linux server Web server (No HDD, *Read*) -

$60.00



1U Rackmount PC Intel Core i5-2520M 8GB RAM 500GB HDD Ubuntu Linux Server picture

1U Rackmount PC Intel Core i5-2520M 8GB RAM 500GB HDD Ubuntu Linux Server

$109.99



Microsoft SQL Server 2022 Standard 24 Core unlimited CAL Retail License Package picture

Microsoft SQL Server 2022 Standard 24 Core unlimited CAL Retail License Package

$199.00



Sun Enterprise e450 400mhz cpu(x4), 4gb ram, 9gb HD w/spud most complete on ebay picture

Sun Enterprise e450 400mhz cpu(x4), 4gb ram, 9gb HD w/spud most complete on ebay

$500.00



Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 Server DVD English OS Media Kit RHF0382US picture

Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 Server DVD English OS Media Kit RHF0382US

$41.30