I haven't used lilo in ages. Try adding vga=0 and see if it boots then.
Hello list
I've got a fairly old Knoppix 3.3 HD-Install with 2.4.22.xfs Kernel but kept the system up-to-date with Debian unstable.
Now I'm trying to set up the Debian binary Kernel 2.6.8-1 out of apt. Every time I start the system with the 2.6.8-1 Kernel, after the kernel was loaded (the screen with lots of dots), the screen gets blank and stays blank until I restart the PC. The system isn't loading at all (HD stays inactive). I've got no other information, what could have gone wrong.
Does anyone know, what I missed?
Cheers and thanks in advance
- Ylz
Attached: Section of lilo.conf
Code:# booting with deb kernel 2.6.8-1 image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.8-1-686 label=Lx.2-6-8-1 initrd=/boot/initrd.img-2.6.8-1-686 read-only
I haven't used lilo in ages. Try adding vga=0 and see if it boots then.
mzilikazi is right. The problem is binary kernels from debian come with frame buffer disabled. So you need to remove "vga=791" from your "append" line in lilo. Or use Kano's kernel, works flawlessly for me, and supports FB...
It does the same for me.
Has someone been able to run knoppix with a kernel get by ?
Code:apt-get install kernel-image-2.6.8-1-686
I did manage to use a debian kernel image with Knoppix 3.3 but as baldyeti said, it's easier with Kanos kernel. AFAIK Kanotix kernels don't work with Knoppix 3.4 though.
I messed around with kernel images last winter and IIRC I had to do something like:
cd /boot
mkinitrd -o linux-2.6.8.gz
And change the kernel line in lilo.conf to point to initrd=/boot/linux-2.6.8.gz
Hello:
At last I was able to boot into my 2.6.8-1-686 kernel, but I want to know if it is possible to enable framebuffer in this new kernel I have downloaded and installed.
Is it possible?
Thanks
Don't know if it's possible to enable something that's disabled in the kernel.
OTOH, if it's this much work to get a kernel image running you might as well compile one and have a smaller kernel as well.

Acer Aspire 14" AI Copilot+PC Laptop Core Ultra 5 226V Gen 4 ARC 16GB 1TB Refurb
$482.02
Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$372.48
External SSD 1TB 2TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.1 Type-C High Speed PC Mac
$24.99
Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 2 15.6" Touchscreen i7-1165G7 16GB 1TB SSD Win 11 Pro
$319.99
SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM
$159.99
Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb
$1794.16
Apple iPad Pro 12.9" 5th Gen 128GB 256GB 1TB 2TB Wi-Fi Or Cellular - Good
$489.99
1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive
$86.95
SGIN 15.6" Laptop 16GB RAM 1TB SSD Win 11 Intel i3-10100Y Backlit Keyboard FHD
$335.99
2TB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb U Disk Memory Stick Pen PC Laptop Storage lot
$10.99