Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Problems with installing 2.6.8-1 Debian Bin Kernel

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    3

    Problems with installing 2.6.8-1 Debian Bin Kernel

    Hello list

    I've got a fairly old Knoppix 3.3 HD-Install with 2.4.22.xfs Kernel but kept the system up-to-date with Debian unstable.

    Now I'm trying to set up the Debian binary Kernel 2.6.8-1 out of apt. Every time I start the system with the 2.6.8-1 Kernel, after the kernel was loaded (the screen with lots of dots), the screen gets blank and stays blank until I restart the PC. The system isn't loading at all (HD stays inactive). I've got no other information, what could have gone wrong.

    Does anyone know, what I missed?

    Cheers and thanks in advance
    - Ylz

    Attached: Section of lilo.conf

    Code:
    # booting with deb kernel 2.6.8-1
    image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.8-1-686
    	label=Lx.2-6-8-1
    	initrd=/boot/initrd.img-2.6.8-1-686
    	read-only

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900
    I haven't used lilo in ages. Try adding vga=0 and see if it boots then.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    555
    mzilikazi is right. The problem is binary kernels from debian come with frame buffer disabled. So you need to remove "vga=791" from your "append" line in lilo. Or use Kano's kernel, works flawlessly for me, and supports FB...

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Salamanca, Spain
    Posts
    60
    It does the same for me.

    Has someone been able to run knoppix with a kernel get by ?

    Code:
    apt-get install kernel-image-2.6.8-1-686

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    I did manage to use a debian kernel image with Knoppix 3.3 but as baldyeti said, it's easier with Kanos kernel. AFAIK Kanotix kernels don't work with Knoppix 3.4 though.
    I messed around with kernel images last winter and IIRC I had to do something like:
    cd /boot
    mkinitrd -o linux-2.6.8.gz
    And change the kernel line in lilo.conf to point to initrd=/boot/linux-2.6.8.gz

  6. #6
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Salamanca, Spain
    Posts
    60
    Hello:

    At last I was able to boot into my 2.6.8-1-686 kernel, but I want to know if it is possible to enable framebuffer in this new kernel I have downloaded and installed.

    Is it possible?

    Thanks

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    Don't know if it's possible to enable something that's disabled in the kernel.
    OTOH, if it's this much work to get a kernel image running you might as well compile one and have a smaller kernel as well.

Similar Threads

  1. Installing new Debian kernel - what are steps to do?
    By tr in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 09-19-2005, 09:55 PM
  2. Problems installing debian package
    By quark in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-14-2004, 07:21 PM
  3. Problems installing 2.6.x kernel on upgraded systems
    By Durand Hicks in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-25-2004, 10:45 PM
  4. installing debian packages.
    By gtgoku in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-07-2003, 07:02 AM
  5. Installing standard debian kernel
    By brjhaverkamp in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-24-2003, 02:04 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Commodore 128 Case + Keyboard + LED, C128 Computer Parts picture

Commodore 128 Case + Keyboard + LED, C128 Computer Parts

$42.50



Commodore OS USB | Bootable LIVE + Install | The Ultimate Gaming Linux OS | NEW picture

Commodore OS USB | Bootable LIVE + Install | The Ultimate Gaming Linux OS | NEW

$11.99



Commodore 64 Console Retro working Home Computer w/ Original Box picture

Commodore 64 Console Retro working Home Computer w/ Original Box

$200.00



Commodore OS Vision 3.0 | Bootable USB Install | Linux Gaming OS picture

Commodore OS Vision 3.0 | Bootable USB Install | Linux Gaming OS

$24.99



Commodore 64/128 RF delete picture

Commodore 64/128 RF delete

$25.00



BitBinders 1581DV Dual 3.5

BitBinders 1581DV Dual 3.5" Floppy Disk Drive for Commodore 8-Bit Computers READ

$299.00



Commodore 64 Serial Cable 6PIN DIN 1541 1571 C64 128 C128 Disk Drive Printer USA picture

Commodore 64 Serial Cable 6PIN DIN 1541 1571 C64 128 C128 Disk Drive Printer USA

$10.49



SOLD AS IS Lot of 5.25

SOLD AS IS Lot of 5.25" Floppy Disks w/ Games & Software? Commodore 64 Atari 800

$39.99



Commodore 64 Dead Test & Diagnostic Cartridge & Test Harness Set - USA seller picture

Commodore 64 Dead Test & Diagnostic Cartridge & Test Harness Set - USA seller

$39.99



Peripheral Vision VINTAGE EDUMATE LIGHT PEN Atati 800/400 & COMMODORE 64 Unteste picture

Peripheral Vision VINTAGE EDUMATE LIGHT PEN Atati 800/400 & COMMODORE 64 Unteste

$79.90