Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Problems with installing 2.6.8-1 Debian Bin Kernel

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    3

    Problems with installing 2.6.8-1 Debian Bin Kernel

    Hello list

    I've got a fairly old Knoppix 3.3 HD-Install with 2.4.22.xfs Kernel but kept the system up-to-date with Debian unstable.

    Now I'm trying to set up the Debian binary Kernel 2.6.8-1 out of apt. Every time I start the system with the 2.6.8-1 Kernel, after the kernel was loaded (the screen with lots of dots), the screen gets blank and stays blank until I restart the PC. The system isn't loading at all (HD stays inactive). I've got no other information, what could have gone wrong.

    Does anyone know, what I missed?

    Cheers and thanks in advance
    - Ylz

    Attached: Section of lilo.conf

    Code:
    # booting with deb kernel 2.6.8-1
    image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.8-1-686
    	label=Lx.2-6-8-1
    	initrd=/boot/initrd.img-2.6.8-1-686
    	read-only

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900
    I haven't used lilo in ages. Try adding vga=0 and see if it boots then.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    555
    mzilikazi is right. The problem is binary kernels from debian come with frame buffer disabled. So you need to remove "vga=791" from your "append" line in lilo. Or use Kano's kernel, works flawlessly for me, and supports FB...

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Salamanca, Spain
    Posts
    60
    It does the same for me.

    Has someone been able to run knoppix with a kernel get by ?

    Code:
    apt-get install kernel-image-2.6.8-1-686

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    I did manage to use a debian kernel image with Knoppix 3.3 but as baldyeti said, it's easier with Kanos kernel. AFAIK Kanotix kernels don't work with Knoppix 3.4 though.
    I messed around with kernel images last winter and IIRC I had to do something like:
    cd /boot
    mkinitrd -o linux-2.6.8.gz
    And change the kernel line in lilo.conf to point to initrd=/boot/linux-2.6.8.gz

  6. #6
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Salamanca, Spain
    Posts
    60
    Hello:

    At last I was able to boot into my 2.6.8-1-686 kernel, but I want to know if it is possible to enable framebuffer in this new kernel I have downloaded and installed.

    Is it possible?

    Thanks

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    Don't know if it's possible to enable something that's disabled in the kernel.
    OTOH, if it's this much work to get a kernel image running you might as well compile one and have a smaller kernel as well.

Similar Threads

  1. Installing new Debian kernel - what are steps to do?
    By tr in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 09-19-2005, 09:55 PM
  2. Problems installing debian package
    By quark in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-14-2004, 07:21 PM
  3. Problems installing 2.6.x kernel on upgraded systems
    By Durand Hicks in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-25-2004, 10:45 PM
  4. installing debian packages.
    By gtgoku in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-07-2003, 07:02 AM
  5. Installing standard debian kernel
    By brjhaverkamp in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-24-2003, 02:04 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


ATARI XF551 DISK DRIVE WITH AC POWER ADAPTER AND PARALLEL PORT ADAPTER, UNTESTED picture

ATARI XF551 DISK DRIVE WITH AC POWER ADAPTER AND PARALLEL PORT ADAPTER, UNTESTED

$250.00



Happy 1050 Upgrade for Atari 1050 Disk Drive - Solderless Installation - HS/DD picture

Happy 1050 Upgrade for Atari 1050 Disk Drive - Solderless Installation - HS/DD

$49.97



VTG Atari 600XL Home Computer System in Box ** Powers On ** Clean * Tested Works picture

VTG Atari 600XL Home Computer System in Box ** Powers On ** Clean * Tested Works

$148.75



Atari 400 Home Computer System includes Power Cord G2U picture

Atari 400 Home Computer System includes Power Cord G2U

$159.99



Vtg Atari 800 Complete Computer System Lot Games Controllers Disk Drive Recorder picture

Vtg Atari 800 Complete Computer System Lot Games Controllers Disk Drive Recorder

$499.99



Vintage ATARI SF314 DS/DD 3.5

Vintage ATARI SF314 DS/DD 3.5" External Drive TESTED but can't read/write disks

$69.99



Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working picture

Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working

$99.99



Vintage Atari 1050 Disk Drive w/ SIO Cable & 32 Games/Programs - UNTESTED  picture

Vintage Atari 1050 Disk Drive w/ SIO Cable & 32 Games/Programs - UNTESTED

$67.76



DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive  powers on Unit Only Boo G3D picture

DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive powers on Unit Only Boo G3D

$49.29



Vintage 1980’s Atari CX77 Touch Tablet UNTESTED READ picture

Vintage 1980’s Atari CX77 Touch Tablet UNTESTED READ

$25.00