Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: grub.conf on dual boot knoppix/centos-3 on presario 2105us

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    20

    grub.conf on dual boot knoppix/centos-3 on presario 2105us

    Installed knx3.6 with lilo in partition

    Installed centos-3 (an rhe rebuild) with grub in mbr

    Grub sees both, but grub conf had to be diddled to see knx kernel and initrd.img

    Grub indeed starts the knx boot, but quits with a kernel panic suggesting on stdout:
    Code:
    Kernel panic: No init found.  Try passing init= option to kernel
    Here's the relevant bit from grub.conf:
    Code:
    title knoppix
       rootnoverify (hd0,1)
       kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.27 ro root=/dev/hda1 nolapic acpi=on nodma init=5
       initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.4.27
    That line for the kernel is a composite of an earlier answer about cheatcodes for knx3.6 on my laptop and a howto on dualbooting multiple linux distros. I'm guessing the trouble is the syntax on "init=5" but can't figure out where else to look. Many thanks!

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900
    Now I have neither a rhe or Knoppix install so I've no idea what kernel they use. init=5 is not even necessary. You can remove it.

    If you installed Knoppix to /dev/hda2 then root=/dev/hda2
    GRUB sees things differently. (hd0,1) = /dev/hda2

    I would probably try this in GRUB.

    Code:
    title Knoppix
    kernel (hd0,1)/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.27 root=/dev/hda2 nolapic acpi=on nodma ro vga=791
    initrd (hd0,1)/boot/initrd.img-2.4.27
    savedefault
    vga=791 is not required but it gets you the framebuffer device.

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    20
    Code:
    If you installed Knoppix to /dev/hda2 then root=/dev/hda2 
    GRUB sees things differently.  (hd0,1) = /dev/hda2
    ARRRGHHHHH!

    (hd0,0) = /dev/hda1; knew it, but apparently not well enough to catch my thumb-fingered TYPO!

    So, thanks a million; I am now the proud owner of a knoppix 3.6/centos-3 presario 2105us, and a belly full of humble pie.

    I've seen reference to framebuffer and laptops, but have no clue, really what it's all about. Is there a good how-to or some such I should be looking at? One of the reasons I'm so hot for knoppix on this machine is several days of effort trying and failing to get X running on a straigh debian install. Knoppix autodetects and things work fine for me (although I've never tried running a dvd...)

    Again, thanks bunches.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900
    Quote Originally Posted by phaedral
    Code:
    If you installed Knoppix to /dev/hda2 then root=/dev/hda2 
    GRUB sees things differently.  (hd0,1) = /dev/hda2
    ARRRGHHHHH!

    (hd0,0) = /dev/hda1; knew it, but apparently not well enough to catch my thumb-fingered TYPO!
    w00t! Glad you got it working.

    So, thanks a million; I am now the proud owner of a knoppix 3.6/centos-3 presario 2105us, and a belly full of humble pie.
    It's great to be full. I eat humble pie daily. Apparently I like it.

    I've seen reference to framebuffer and laptops, but have no clue, really what it's all about. Is there a good how-to or some such I should be looking at?
    Framebuffers run on desktops too. Maybe these links are of some use to you.:

    http://www.faqs.org/docs/Linux-HOWTO...fer-HOWTO.html
    http://www.linux.org/docs/ldp/howto/...r-HOWTO-5.html

    One of the reasons I'm so hot for knoppix on this machine is several days of effort trying and failing to get X running on a straigh debian install.
    FYI You can use the XF86Config-4 file from Knoppix and simply put it in /etc/X11 on your Debian install.

    Knoppix autodetects and things work fine for me (although I've never tried running a dvd...)
    You'll need libdvdcss for decryption.
    Code:
    wget http://download.videolan.org/pub/lib...2.8-1_i386.deb
    dpkg -i libdvdcss2_1.2.8-1_i386.deb

    Again, thanks bunches.
    De nada hombre'

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    20
    Maybe these links are of some use to you
    I will indeed check 'em out; thanks!

    FYI You can use the XF86Config-4 file from Knoppix and simply put it in /etc/X11 on your Debian install
    Boot from the knoppix disc, then grab the running config file, then try that when booted from debian; I think I tried this. It's been a couple of months since giving up on that project.

    The real dilemma I face is the classic "convenience v. control." As an example, the debian install, from the lordsutch mini-iso, worked really well for me, it was my first introduction to apt-get and dselect and I found I like those much better than rpm. But knoppix is so tricked out that I can't even install perl-doc, and not for lack of trying and following suggestions.

    Ultimately I've gone with knoppix because it does a better job with my hardware; rh won't give me sound and I've never looked into making it do so. As you may have guessed, my skill level is above "average user" and below "basic sysad," a very frustrating place to be.

    I just discovered the knx3.6 install didn't give me an ssh server. Maybe I shouldn't have taken the default option. I'll probably take a shot with using knoppix-installer with the "debian" option...but will that screw the pooch with regards to X? So many choices, so many ways to go wrong. ;)

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900
    Quote Originally Posted by phaedral
    I'll probably take a shot with using knoppix-installer with the "debian" option...but will that screw the pooch with regards to X? So many choices, so many ways to go wrong.
    Definitely you'll want to use the Debian option. I see no reason to believe that any pooch screwing will occur with regards to X.

  7. #7
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by mzilikazi
    Quote Originally Posted by phaedral
    I'll probably take a shot with using knoppix-installer with the "debian" option...but will that screw the pooch with regards to X? So many choices, so many ways to go wrong. ;)
    Definitely you'll want to use the Debian option. I see no reason to believe that any pooch screwing will occur with regards to X.
    Right as rain. And I poked into ./knofig so ssh starts at boot. Strange as it may sound, I use this laptop mostly as a webserver, do most of my work on it via cygwin ssh from my winDoze machine. Don't tell anyone...

    Anyway, it's all good, and now I can proceed to put my web-dev environment back in order AND (once it's backed up) do all the rche exercises. Thanks again for all the help.

Similar Threads

  1. Able to dual boot XP and linux but Linux goes to GRUB, help
    By istoleapig in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-19-2005, 09:28 AM
  2. Dual boot problem winxp/knoppix (GRUB)
    By hukdonfonix in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-04-2004, 06:39 PM
  3. Presario 2105us
    By phaedral in forum Laptops
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-11-2004, 04:35 AM
  4. dual boot propblem with grub
    By paulo_andre in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-02-2004, 03:55 PM
  5. Trouble after dual-boot install (Grub, hardware detection)
    By FlorianK in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-11-2003, 03:31 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP,  (6 CDS) picture

Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)

$10.00



KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit picture

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit

$19.99



Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive picture

Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive

$5.99



KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED picture

KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED

$11.99



VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION) picture

VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)

$7.57



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick

$20.85



Knoppix NSM 1.2 picture

Knoppix NSM 1.2

$8.00



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick

$21.42



Hamshack Live DVD-ROM picture

Hamshack Live DVD-ROM

$7.00



Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006 picture

Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006

$34.01