-
Installation fails
I just got my copy of Knoppix 3.1 from CheapBytes. When I boot the CD the installation fails with the following error messages:
Cloop: error -3 uncompressing block 2911
End request i/o error dev f0:00 (cloop) sector 372624
kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k binfmt -000 errno=5
kernel panic: no init found try passing init=option to kernel
I have a Cyrix 6x86l CPU with 64 megs of ram, 8.4 HDD, only half is used for Win95.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Did you get to the first boot screen with the funny looking penquin?
If so try F2 to get to the cheat codes menu.
Then use the expert code to pick your configs one by one as you boot and see if that gets you in.
You can always try the new 3.2 version and see if that's any better.
-

Originally Posted by
audioaficionado
Did you get to the first boot screen with the funny looking penquin?
If so try F2 to get to the cheat codes menu.
Then use the expert code to pick your configs one by one as you boot and see if that gets you in.
You can always try the new 3.2 version and see if that's any better.
Thanks, I'll try the cheat codes. How do I get 3.2 without paying for it?
-
I tried:
knoppix testcd
This gave the following message:
You passed an undefined mode number
I tried:
knoppix expert
This eventually gave the same list of errors that I posted in my first message. I think the CD is corrupt, or my system is not up to the task.
-
Senior Member
registered user
5ab8f8e1900cf20f4e667f7c17f4e976 knoppix-3.2-cebit-rip.iso
ftp://source.rfc822.org/pub/mirror/knoppix/
This one works well for me. There's EN versions too but I'd read the forum and see if they might be too buggy at the moment.
-

Originally Posted by
audioaficionado
5ab8f8e1900cf20f4e667f7c17f4e976 knoppix-3.2-cebit-rip.iso
ftp://source.rfc822.org/pub/mirror/knoppix/
This one works well for me. There's EN versions too but I'd read the forum and see if they might be too buggy at the moment.
I've got a dial-up account at 28.8KBps. Too slow for 714 meg files. That's why I bought the CheapBytes CD.
-
Senior Member
registered user
mrob
Try this:
knoppix vga=normal testcd
rock
-

Originally Posted by
RockMumbles
mrob
Try this:
knoppix vga=normal testcd
rock
Same result. The errors start just after the command:
Creating directories and syslink on ramdisk
I also tried the no's: noscsi, nousb etc. Very frustrating.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: Installation fails

Originally Posted by
mrob
Cloop: error -3 uncompressing block 2911
End request i/o error dev f0:00 (cloop) sector 372624
kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k binfmt -000 errno=5
kernel panic: no init found try passing init=option to kernel
Classic "your cd is junk" error. sorry.........Hopefully they'll send you another.
-
Re: Installation fails

Originally Posted by
rickenbacherus

Originally Posted by
mrob
Cloop: error -3 uncompressing block 2911
End request i/o error dev f0:00 (cloop) sector 372624
kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k binfmt -000 errno=5
kernel panic: no init found try passing init=option to kernel
Classic "your cd is junk" error. sorry.........Hopefully they'll send you another.
I hope so too. I sent email to their sales department last week--still waiting for a response.
Similar Threads
-
By tmj0nes99 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 03-30-2005, 07:16 PM
-
By robbyappleton in forum General Support
Replies: 22
Last Post: 02-29-2004, 09:08 PM
-
By Mr.Redhat in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 01-11-2004, 02:46 PM
-
By cr8dle2grave in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 6
Last Post: 08-20-2003, 06:55 PM
-
By AndrewDucker in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 02-20-2003, 09:35 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p
$499.88

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

VMware vCenter Server 8 STANDARD Perpetual License Key VC-STD-C (Legacy Pack)
$1599.95

RDS CAL - Remote Desktop Services Windows Server 2022 50 User/Device Connections
$68.00

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99

Dell PowerEdge R240 Intel Xeon E-2144G 3.6GHz 16GB DDR4 ECC NO HDD 250W
$149.00

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD
$381.93

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO
$488.00

Dell EMC VxRail E560F 10-SFF 2*Gold 6230R 2.1GHz No RAM HBA330 iDrac Ent Server
$349.99

Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64bit 32 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed
$95.99