Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Installation fails

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Oceanside CA
    Posts
    9

    Installation fails

    I just got my copy of Knoppix 3.1 from CheapBytes. When I boot the CD the installation fails with the following error messages:

    Cloop: error -3 uncompressing block 2911
    End request i/o error dev f0:00 (cloop) sector 372624
    kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k binfmt -000 errno=5
    kernel panic: no init found try passing init=option to kernel

    I have a Cyrix 6x86l CPU with 64 megs of ram, 8.4 HDD, only half is used for Win95.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    42.3° N 122.9° W
    Posts
    166
    Did you get to the first boot screen with the funny looking penquin?

    If so try F2 to get to the cheat codes menu.

    Then use the expert code to pick your configs one by one as you boot and see if that gets you in.

    You can always try the new 3.2 version and see if that's any better.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Oceanside CA
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by audioaficionado
    Did you get to the first boot screen with the funny looking penquin?

    If so try F2 to get to the cheat codes menu.

    Then use the expert code to pick your configs one by one as you boot and see if that gets you in.

    You can always try the new 3.2 version and see if that's any better.
    Thanks, I'll try the cheat codes. How do I get 3.2 without paying for it?

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Oceanside CA
    Posts
    9
    I tried:

    knoppix testcd

    This gave the following message:

    You passed an undefined mode number

    I tried:

    knoppix expert

    This eventually gave the same list of errors that I posted in my first message. I think the CD is corrupt, or my system is not up to the task.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    42.3° N 122.9° W
    Posts
    166
    5ab8f8e1900cf20f4e667f7c17f4e976 knoppix-3.2-cebit-rip.iso

    ftp://source.rfc822.org/pub/mirror/knoppix/

    This one works well for me. There's EN versions too but I'd read the forum and see if they might be too buggy at the moment.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Oceanside CA
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by audioaficionado
    5ab8f8e1900cf20f4e667f7c17f4e976 knoppix-3.2-cebit-rip.iso

    ftp://source.rfc822.org/pub/mirror/knoppix/

    This one works well for me. There's EN versions too but I'd read the forum and see if they might be too buggy at the moment.
    I've got a dial-up account at 28.8KBps. Too slow for 714 meg files. That's why I bought the CheapBytes CD.

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Podunk, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    470
    mrob

    Try this:

    knoppix vga=normal testcd

    rock

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Oceanside CA
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by RockMumbles
    mrob

    Try this:

    knoppix vga=normal testcd

    rock
    Same result. The errors start just after the command:

    Creating directories and syslink on ramdisk

    I also tried the no's: noscsi, nousb etc. Very frustrating.

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933

    Re: Installation fails

    Quote Originally Posted by mrob
    Cloop: error -3 uncompressing block 2911
    End request i/o error dev f0:00 (cloop) sector 372624
    kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k binfmt -000 errno=5
    kernel panic: no init found try passing init=option to kernel
    Classic "your cd is junk" error. sorry.........Hopefully they'll send you another.

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Oceanside CA
    Posts
    9

    Re: Installation fails

    Quote Originally Posted by rickenbacherus
    Quote Originally Posted by mrob
    Cloop: error -3 uncompressing block 2911
    End request i/o error dev f0:00 (cloop) sector 372624
    kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k binfmt -000 errno=5
    kernel panic: no init found try passing init=option to kernel
    Classic "your cd is junk" error. sorry.........Hopefully they'll send you another.
    I hope so too. I sent email to their sales department last week--still waiting for a response.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. tohd fails
    By tmj0nes99 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-30-2005, 07:16 PM
  2. CD fails to boot
    By robbyappleton in forum General Support
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 02-29-2004, 09:08 PM
  3. Probleme nach installation!! - Problems after installation!!
    By Mr.Redhat in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-11-2004, 02:46 PM
  4. SU fails after install
    By cr8dle2grave in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-20-2003, 06:55 PM
  5. Fails to boot
    By AndrewDucker in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-20-2003, 09:35 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Lot of 500 Cisco 10-3145-02 QSFP-100G-CWDM4-S 100G CWDM4 QSFP28 Transceiver picture

Lot of 500 Cisco 10-3145-02 QSFP-100G-CWDM4-S 100G CWDM4 QSFP28 Transceiver

$1500.00



NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping* picture

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*

$24.00



Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter picture

Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter

$27.50



Dell Mellanox ConnectX-4 Lx CX4121C 020NJD Dual-Port 25GbE SFP28 NIC Low Profile picture

Dell Mellanox ConnectX-4 Lx CX4121C 020NJD Dual-Port 25GbE SFP28 NIC Low Profile

$35.00



SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT picture

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT

$7.99



Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver picture

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver

$5.40



HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port  PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+ picture

HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+

$16.99



(Lot of 10) Genuine Cisco 10GBASE-CU SFP+ Cable SFP-H10GB-CU3M / 37-0961-03 picture

(Lot of 10) Genuine Cisco 10GBASE-CU SFP+ Cable SFP-H10GB-CU3M / 37-0961-03

$99.95



New Sealed Cisco GLC-LH-SMD 1000BASE-LX/LH SFP Transceiver Module *US picture

New Sealed Cisco GLC-LH-SMD 1000BASE-LX/LH SFP Transceiver Module *US

$17.00



HPE 560SFP 2x 10Gb SFP+ PCIe Both Profile Network Card 669279-001 665247-001 picture

HPE 560SFP 2x 10Gb SFP+ PCIe Both Profile Network Card 669279-001 665247-001

$14.90