Open root konsole and edit /etc/lilo.conf:
other=/dev/hdb1
label="Win98SE"
table=/dev/hdb
save and run lilo ( to update ).
![]()
Hi,
Got an oddity. Done a poor-mans install to an HD, yet when I add info re Windows for dual-booting I get lilo errors and - through the partition is listed on next boot - boot Windows it does not.
Hardware is Asus AMD nForce2 mb. All works fine using the live CD.
HD layout is a bit odd, due to evil WD disk refusing to be a Master. Anyhow I've got:
hda - LG combo CDROM/DVD/CDRW
hdb - WD 80g HD (Windows98SE) Boot via MBR
hdc - Maxtor 10g HD - Knoppix 3.6 Boot via MBR
hdd - empty
Installed Knoppix 3.6 with 2.6 series kernel to hdc. BIOS is set to boot hdc 1st. Knoppix runs fine from HD. With hdc (Knoppix) HD removed, Windows by itself gets booted fine; so we know both HD's are happy and bootable.
Added Windows thus to lilo.conf as root, giving:
image=/boot/vmlinuz
label="Linux"
initrd=/boot/initrd.img
append="ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us apm=power-off nomce vsync=95 screen=1280x1024 lang=uk"
read-only
image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.27
label="Linux(2.4)-1"
initrd=/boot/initrd.img-2.4.27
append="ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us apm=power-off nomce v
sync=95 screen=1280x1024 lang=uk"
read-only
image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.7
label="Linux(2.6)-2"
initrd=/boot/initrd.img-2.6.7
append="ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us apm=power-off nomce vsync=95
screen=1280x1024 lang=uk"
read-only
other=/dev/hdb1
label="Win98SE"
lilo then throws errors as this cut/paste from console shows:
root@asus4box:/etc# lilo
/dev/mapper/control: open failed: No such device
Is device-mapper driver missing from kernel?
/dev/mapper/control: open failed: No such device
Is device-mapper driver missing from kernel?
Incompatible libdevmapper 1.00.19-ioctl (2004-07-03)(compat) and kernel driver
Added Linux *
Added Linux(2.4)-1
Added Linux(2.6)-2
Added Win98SE
On reboot, Debian boot splash shows all these bootable areas & will boot Linux default fine.
Asking it to boot Win98SE results in a blank screen for 3-4 seconds, then in top LH corner the message:
Loading Win98SE
and that's it. Hangs forever.
Hows do I fix this one??
Thanks!
brodders
Open root konsole and edit /etc/lilo.conf:
other=/dev/hdb1
label="Win98SE"
table=/dev/hdb
save and run lilo ( to update ).
![]()
Hi shah...
Thanks for the table suggestion!
...alas makes no difference. It almost seems like the disk is somehow failing the boot sequence.
What is lilo going to do which is different from a normal Win98 MBR boot??
Thanks
brodders
One thing I see in your lilo is missing line :
boot=/dev/hdb *on top of lilo
and
root=/dev/hdc*x *x=your linux partition number
ex:
image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.27
label="Linux(2.4)-1"
root=/dev/hdc*x
initrd=/boot/initrd.img-2.4.27
append="ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us apm=power-off nomce v
sync=95 screen=1280x1024 lang=uk"
read-only
Your WD HD don't like to share cable with your cdrom, that's why it cannot be a master....fetish?![]()
You can move the cdrom to second ide an turn it as slave.
Aha!
Put those changes in and - No change at all (that's with extra lilo boot & root parameters).
Not too surprised as apart from the Win98SE stuff the rest is auto-generated during Knoppix HD install. Unhelpfully, I've not posted all the lilo.conf text as it has a _lot_ of verbage.
Hm. I'm suspecting now the WD as being even more evil then expected. Perhaps put in another drive in it's place?
WD fetish about cable sharing?worse, it refuses to be recognised in BIOS if it is a Master (other ide device or no). It's slave or nothing! I've seen 2 WD's like this; there was a bout of them a year or so ago I suspect, as others mentioned this around the web. Never seen a drive like it (& I've not bought any more). Seemed to vary by mb manufacturer so must be subtle firmware / timing / chipset thing. Perhaps.
I'll try an old IBM Deskstar as hdb and see what happens..... let you know.
Thanks!
If nothing work then it's time for you to move to grub.![]()

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit
$19.99
Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)
$10.00
Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive
$5.99
KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED
$11.99
Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick
$20.85
VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)
$7.57
$8.00
Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick
$21.42
$7.00
Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006
$33.72