Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Trying to recover data through samba!!

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1

    Trying to recover data through samba!!

    Hello Everybody

    I am trying to recover data from a corrupted XP machine.
    I am using the latest version of knoppix (3.6)
    These are the steps I am following

    1.Bootup knoppix with the knoppix26 option
    2. Set password for root and knoppix user.
    2.set IP by running netcardconfig and get networking up.
    3. Start terminal server.
    4. Start Samba server. Here I choose to mount all available local drives.
    5. Edit smb.conf to mention workgroup name and then restart samba

    Now from another machine running WinXP, When I see the network neighbourhood, I see the the knoppix machine. When I click on it, it asks me for username and password. I am now seeing hte hard drive I need to backup. The problem is that access is very slow!! I tried copying some small files, but it seems to take forever. Even browsing the drive through explorer is very very slow. This setup is at home, and there is hardly any network traffic.

    Is this becasue the drive is a NT partition? I have huge amonts of data to backup. Please let me know if I am doing something wrong. and how i can improve the speed.

    Thank you.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    949

    Re: Trying to recover data through samba!!

    Quote Originally Posted by debuser
    Hello Everybody

    I am trying to recover data from a corrupted XP machine.
    I am using the latest version of knoppix (3.6)
    These are the steps I am following

    1.Bootup knoppix with the knoppix26 option
    2. Set password for root and knoppix user.
    2.set IP by running netcardconfig and get networking up.
    3. Start terminal server.
    4. Start Samba server. Here I choose to mount all available local drives.
    5. Edit smb.conf to mention workgroup name and then restart samba

    Now from another machine running WinXP, When I see the network neighbourhood, I see the the knoppix machine. When I click on it, it asks me for username and password. I am now seeing hte hard drive I need to backup. The problem is that access is very slow!! I tried copying some small files, but it seems to take forever. Even browsing the drive through explorer is very very slow. This setup is at home, and there is hardly any network traffic.

    Is this becasue the drive is a NT partition? I have huge amonts of data to backup. Please let me know if I am doing something wrong. and how i can improve the speed.

    Thank you.
    Chances are if its currpoted it is going to take longer to read. Linux has very good ntfs reading drivers, (Many times beter then window's drivers even) so it can read it when windows can't. But it will be a little slower when curropted.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    788
    You forgot to create to create user password for samba.
    smbpasswd -a <username>

    Read this post;
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...ighlight=samba

Similar Threads

  1. How to Recover Data?
    By Israel in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-21-2005, 07:51 PM
  2. Need to recover data, please help
    By blkmagic in forum General Support
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 11-26-2004, 06:12 PM
  3. Trying to recover data, need help please
    By craigw79 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-12-2004, 12:09 AM
  4. how can i recover data??
    By dreday202 in forum General Support
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-04-2004, 09:03 AM
  5. help knoppix trying to recover data
    By bradleyko in forum General Support
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 08-09-2004, 05:00 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Lenovo Legion 5 Gaming 15.1

Lenovo Legion 5 Gaming 15.1" WQXGA OLED 165Hz Core i9-14900HX 16GB 1TB RTX 5070

$1469.00



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$316.61



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$60.00



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i7 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$349.48



Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1

$99.99



1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive picture

1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive

$86.95



SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM picture

SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM

$159.99



External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac picture

External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac

$19.99



External Solid State Drive USB 3.2 Gen2, 1TB SSD External Hard Drive with C to A picture

External Solid State Drive USB 3.2 Gen2, 1TB SSD External Hard Drive with C to A

$100.00



Western Digital 1TB 3.5

Western Digital 1TB 3.5" SATA III 7200RPM Desktop Hard Drive

$34.99