-
Trying to recover data through samba!!
Hello Everybody
I am trying to recover data from a corrupted XP machine.
I am using the latest version of knoppix (3.6)
These are the steps I am following
1.Bootup knoppix with the knoppix26 option
2. Set password for root and knoppix user.
2.set IP by running netcardconfig and get networking up.
3. Start terminal server.
4. Start Samba server. Here I choose to mount all available local drives.
5. Edit smb.conf to mention workgroup name and then restart samba
Now from another machine running WinXP, When I see the network neighbourhood, I see the the knoppix machine. When I click on it, it asks me for username and password. I am now seeing hte hard drive I need to backup. The problem is that access is very slow!! I tried copying some small files, but it seems to take forever. Even browsing the drive through explorer is very very slow. This setup is at home, and there is hardly any network traffic.
Is this becasue the drive is a NT partition? I have huge amonts of data to backup. Please let me know if I am doing something wrong. and how i can improve the speed.
Thank you.
Similar Threads
-
By Israel in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 2
Last Post: 09-21-2005, 07:51 PM
-
By blkmagic in forum General Support
Replies: 14
Last Post: 11-26-2004, 06:12 PM
-
By craigw79 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 5
Last Post: 10-12-2004, 12:09 AM
-
By dreday202 in forum General Support
Replies: 8
Last Post: 09-04-2004, 09:03 AM
-
By bradleyko in forum General Support
Replies: 11
Last Post: 08-09-2004, 05:00 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

2-Bay/4-Bay Hard Drive Enclosure for 3.5"/2.5'' SATA HDD/SSD 10Gbps USB-C 3.2
$75.99

OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs
$87.99

Broadcom 9600-24i RAID Controller PCIe Gen 4.1 Tri-Mode NEW 05-50111-01004
$649.99

Areca ARC-1882IX-24 (16i4e)24-Port RAID Controller Card w/BBU /HDD Monitor Board
$300.00

WAVLINK RAID 2 Bay Hard Drive Docking Station SATA 2.5/3.5'' SSD HDD Enclosure
$119.99

Acasis USB 3.2 2 Bay HDD RAID Enclosure for 2.5/3.5" SATA Drives External Array
$55.00

Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV
$18.95

NVME M.2 Adapter Card PCIE X16 Splitter Expansion Controller 4-Disk Soft RAID
$24.43

Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD
$265.00

CalDigit VR minin 2 Portable Raid Storage On The Go
$75.00